Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Respiratory advice please :)
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 8:53 am 

Hi all! I'm new here so I'll give you a little intro :D
I'm Sharna. I am a mum of human children as well as cat and rat children.
I have 3 bucks, two red eyed champagne and one Brown and white dumbo! Sirius, Severus & Albus :hearts:
They all share a mansion.
All 3 are from the same litter and are approximately 5 months old.

So here's the story..
Recently I took all 3 of my boys to the vet as my two red eyed (Albus and Severus) had noisy breathing and occasional sneezies. They vet was pleased I had brought them in as they hadn't developed anything serious yet and advised that we treat all of them (just to be safe) with azithromycin (zithromax).
They have just finished a course of 11 days and their breathing is completely inaudible now until i play rattie phone :) No sneezies and no porph.

BUT :shock:

If I can still HEAR their breathing when playing rattiephone.. are they over it?? It not crackling or wet sounding. I can just hear it more than I can hear my third boy.
I don't mind taking them back to the vet at all but not sure if I'm being a bit over sensitive as all my boys are looking and acting brilliantly healthy. :roll:

On top of this I know they can get new home sneezies?? They recently had a holiday with my brother whilst I went camping (last week) and just have a new cage.

Should I revisit the vet and ask for some more medication, keep an eye, or assume all is fine?

Sorry for the long post and thanks in advance!

Sharna :hearts:

Post subject: Re: Respiratory advice please :)
 Post Posted: Wed Aug 23, 2017 9:45 pm 

If it's just their breathing being audible when you hold them right against your ear, and they're not sneezing excessively or making rattling or hooting noises, then they're probably fine.

Incidentally, next time I wouldn't bother treating them all, just treat the ones that are showing symptoms. Most respiratory illnesses in rats are due to flareups of bacteria that live in the rat's respiratory tract as a matter of course. All the rats in the cage will have the bacteria already; symptoms appear when a rat is unable to deal with the bacteria on their own for whatever reason, and antibiotics help get things back under control. It's rarely due to anything contagious where treating the entire colony "just in case" is necessary.

"New home sneezes" are due to the fact that moving house is a fairly stressful event, and stress can dampen the immune system, which can in turn lead to flareups of these bacteria. I wouldn't worry about it in advance of it happening. And personally, if the rat is otherwise well and it's just some upper respiratory noises and sneezing, I wait a few days to see if they'll deal with it on their own.

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 8:23 am 

Hi cub!

Thanks for your detailed response!
I have opted to buy another 2 weeks on the meds just to be sure.. although I may just go for 5 days and save the rest of the capsules for future use if they are okay.

The vet has prescribed 1 quarter of a capsule to be split between all 3 rats. He has suggested that even if I treat just 2 rats he wouldn't recommend splitting the capsule any less than 1 quarter, so the amount I use would be the same regardless. However, that being said, I am only going to dispense to my 'poorly' boys and hopefully they get more of it resulting in a better recovery :luck:

Thanks again!
Sharna

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 4:05 pm 

Pretty much all medications have side-effects, so there's no sense risking those unnecessarily by medicating a patient who doesn't actually need it. A higher dose doesn't necessarily lead to a more potent cure either, incidentally.

Is there a reason your vet doesn't recommend splitting a capsule into any more than quarters? I mean, if you're then splitting that dose between 3 patients, you're effectively splitting into twelfths anyway, so you may as well do that to begin with and then just dose each rat individually as required. (Or split into sixths and then split each dose between the 2 rats that need it.)

I've done 24ths of a tablet in my time... :shock: :lol:
(I wouldn't actually recommend that for anything that is as dose-critical as antibiotics, by the way! Highest I've done for antibiotics is 16ths...)

Post Posted: Thu Aug 24, 2017 5:43 pm 

Oh so confusing Cub I'm terrible at maths so in this case I have to trust the vet :shock:
It's powder in capsules so I'd find it pretty difficult to split much smaller than that anyway-

We are now also treating them for lice!!! All comes at once! :x

Sharna x

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health