Rat struggling to eat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Elizarat

Rat struggling to eat

Post by Elizarat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 10:59 am

My old girls is 2 years old. She is struggling to use her mouth to grab things. She is trying to eat. She eats more when i hold the food for her. Plus her back legs seem to be going other not being able to balance or just weak. (Not sure if connected) Her nose has a little bit of red showing she is abit stressed. Her sister past away within a week of showing same symptoms as she just got too weak.

[cub]

Re: Rat struggling to eat

Post by [cub] » Fri Aug 25, 2017 11:20 am

Honestly, she needs to see a vet. If she's actually struggling to bite/chew things then that suggests she may have something wrong with her mouth, which a vet is hopefully better equipped to look at. I'm not an expert on oral issues but I can't think of any off the top of my head that don't require veterinary attention.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Elizarat

Post by Elizarat » Fri Aug 25, 2017 4:19 pm

Thank you for your help. But sadly we just took her to vets and is at rest now. Since i posted she just got so much worse,she was really floppy.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:35 pm

So sorry for your loss. It sounded like the right decision.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Aug 25, 2017 8:09 pm

I'm so sorry. :( I have to admit when I read the symptoms I thought the prognosis probably wasn't good, but I didn't want to jinx anything. Rest easy, old girl.
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Sat Aug 26, 2017 11:03 am

Sorry to read this :(
It does sound like organ failure in some fashion, and going downhill so quickly I too think you made the right choice. Even knowing what was happening I think treatment options would likely be very limited, if at all.

Run free with your sister again little one :rattyrainbow:
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Health”