Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Infrequent low grunting in young rat
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 12:34 am 

Hi again all,

So one of my 13 week old youngsters, my beautiful black Berkshire Nox, makes an infrequent low grunting sound when she is out for playtime. It isn't all the time and it is very quiet. Her sisters don't make this noise, only her. This is the only time I hear it (she likes to sit on my shoulder) and she seems otherwise very healthy and growing very well with her sisters, belting around my bed and chasing Myth and Solstice at high speed!

I have read conflicting views as to what this could be, varying from contented noises, to the noises a dominant rat makes, to the start of Mycoplasmosis.

I also read that Myco doesn't generally occur in young rats under 4 months but I am not ruling it out - Fable needs to go to the vet on Wednesday so I am thinking I should take Nox for a checkup as well.

Has anyone else had experiences with this grunting noise, and if so, am I overly worrying as usual or could it be the start of a respiratory problem?

Thanks for reading guys :)

Post subject: Re: Infrequent low grunting in young rat
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 4:30 pm 

If Fable is going in then you may as well take Nox as well.

I suspect Nox is just a little bit more susceptible to respiratory stuff in general (pretty much all pet and wild rats carry Mycoplasma pulmonis in their airways, plus a wide selection of other bacteria too, all of which can and often do play a part in respiratory illness). Playtime is likely to involve more rapid and forceful breathing than normal, due to the excitement or stress or increased physical exertion (or all three), and I suspect rats that are a little prone to being respy are the ones that get grunty under those circumstances.

If it's occasional and she's otherwise well in herself then I personally wouldn't worry too much about it.

ETA: I've had a few respy rats and they all had a tendency to get grunty if they were stressed by something. I settled on not treating them so long as their symptoms were mild and either intermittent or short-lived, and the rat seemed otherwise fine. So far that treatment methodology seems to be working out.

Post subject: Re: Infrequent low grunting in young rat
 Post Posted: Tue Aug 29, 2017 11:12 pm 

Thanks again Cub! You are my fount of knowledge on here, haha!

She is fine tonight. They are out for plays at the moment and I haven't heard any noises so far. She is sitting on my shoulder as I type! I will keep an eye on her just in case.

It is exhausting being a rat mummy again! I forgot how bouncy (literally, bounding across my bed! I wish I could post videos!) and exuberant young rats can be!..I just want the best for them. Thank you again :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health