Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Post subject: Where to get medication online?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 1:47 am 

My girl Tila is pretty sick, and at this point I believe it to be neurological. She seems to be tipping over, one eye squinted and the other seems to be slightly bulging. I plan on getting her to the vet, but until I have the money to do so is there anywhere to get medication online? I am from the U.S. if it matters, and I'm looking for something on the cheaper side. Also, what medication would you recommend? I had to get Baytril, Doxy, and something else for a past rat (from my vet) and it costed me hundreds. Unfortunately I just can't afford that right now. Any recommendations or ideas would be appreciated, just want to keep my pretty girl recovering or comfortable until she can see her vet. :)

Post subject: Re: Where to get medication online?
 Post Posted: Sun Sep 17, 2017 9:50 am 
Fancy Rats Team

It is illegal in the UK to purchase medication without a prescription, so even though you aren't in the UK, as this is a UK based forum we can't allow any suggestions to be given to you.

Sorry to hear Tila is so unwell. Her symptoms sound very severe, possibly an abscess behind her eye, or as you say, a brain tumour, but she does need treatment urgently - either an operation for the first, or if it's a tumour, then PTS will be the eventual course of action. Antibiotics are only of use if there is an infection which can be tackled.

I would hope a vet would have the compassion to put her needs first and allow you to pay retrospectively but I get the impression that vets in the US sadly don't always have much compassion for animals. If they agree that PTS is the best, wouldn't they make an exception?

If you wish to provide pain relief straight away though, some human medicines can be used. A paediatric suspension of paracetamol (e.g. in the UK we have Calpol 6plus) dosed at 100-300mg/kg every 4 hours, or aspirin dosed at 100mg/kg every 4 hours.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 2 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health