Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Very concerned need help Asap.
 Post Posted: Thu Sep 28, 2017 10:27 pm 

Hello everyone. I've got two girl rats both very happy, recently I've noticed a lump growing on one of my girls necks. As it got bigger I decided to book her into the vet, but now it seems to have burst! And all that is left is this massive hole filled with a pussy substance. As far as the size of my rat this hole looks huge :( and gives off a really bad smell. It really doesn't seem to bother her at all and I've tried cleaning by squirting salt water into it and it did dislodge some but it's still very thick and full of this puss like substance.
I don't want to dig around this hole as it's very deep and big I'm afraid it would be painful or make it worse.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Very concerned need help Asap.
 Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 7:43 am 

Classic abscess, I think. Keep cleaning with warm water. Doesn't need to be salt/saline. You can get antibiotics but I think they give septrin for abscesses which my guys hate and it is a lot of liquid for them to take. So keep cleaning. I tend to use diluted hibiscrub. You can also give some pain relief, either dog metacam or children's calpol. I can't remember the dose for cal poly, so hopefully somebody else can help with that.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 8:28 am 

Yeah, sounds like an abscess: http://ratguide.com/health/integumentary_skin/abscess.php

I would continue flushing with saline since it's so easy to make that you may as well. Just make sure it's at the right concentration (1tsp salt to 1L water); if it's too concentrated it can dry out the skin which causes its own problems.

If you do go to the vet and they do prescribe Septrin (co-trimoxazole), you can ask for it in tablet form instead (many brands of co-trimoxazole tablets are available including Tribrissen and Trimacare). You'll need to crush the tablet, divide the powder into doses, and then hide each dose in something tasty. But tablet form co-trimoxazole is generally easier to convince a rat to take than Septrin, which is a liquid suspension with a very strong flavour that's very hard to disguise. Co-amoxiclav is I believe the other common antibiotic prescribed for abscesses; I've never seen that in anything other than tablet form so it'll be the same crush, divide, hide method.

Meloxicam (Metacam, Loxicom, other brands are available) is the best option for pain relief. Standard rat dosage is 1mg/kg per day, but I recommend dividing that into 2 doses to give more even pain relief. If you're getting the dog strength solution (1.5mg/mL) – and you should, the cat strength is very dilute and comes in tiny bottles – then that's about 0.3mL/kg twice a day. It's prescription only, but if you're seeing a vet you may as well. It's a sweet suspension that most rats really love but a few really hate, so hide it in something nice and see how you go.

If you can't for whatever reason get meloxicam, then children's ibuprofen (Calprofen; other brands are available) is usually a better choice than children's paracetamol (Calpol; other brands are available). Dosages are as follows:
Children's ibuprofen, 100mg per 5mL solution: 1mL/kg bodyweight up to 6 times daily
Children's paracetamol, 250mg per 5mL solution: 1mL/kg bodyweight up to 3 times daily
Make sure you get the right strength solution; Calpol at least comes in 2 different strengths for younger vs older children, and the one for younger children is too dilute to be useful for rats.

Post Posted: Fri Sep 29, 2017 1:42 pm 

Thanks alot guys that's a relief know it's nothing majorly life threatening.
It just looks really graphic and horrible I feel really bad for her.

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health