Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Post subject: Probable neurological symptoms in 18 month female
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 7:40 pm 

Hello, it's me again.

It never rains but it pours :(

We have come home from the crazy rat road trip to find our, now oldest, rat (since Paws left us) rather unwell.

This is Trixie. She is 18 months old and has seemed very quiet since Paws left us just under two weeks ago. We thought maybe she was just missing her. She has also been rather unsettled due to us moving around cages when Paws was unwell etc. And she has never really been particularly friendly with our 3 other remaining rats - 3 lively 11 month old sisters.

The other thing we noticed before we left is that she seemed quite sleepy at times and her eyelids seemed quite droopy.

I was concerned enough to say to the ratsitters that I was worried about her and could they keep an extra eye on her.

When Mike picked them up he was told she had been very quiet and that her balance was not right.

We've just had all the girls out to play and Trixie looked awful. She was very slow. Didn't really care what you did with her (previously she wasn't all that keen on being handled a lot). She wasn't holding up her tail, but most obviously she was struggling to clamber around on us and kept slipping somehow. She was doing the splits with her hind legs while trying to get onto my legs. Her front legs and also walking were 'wrong' somehow.

In the cage she seems unable to get across gaps. I saw her fall off a shelf when trying to cross a relatively small gap :cry:

We also weighed her and she has lost 30g in the last 2 weeks.

I'm assuming there is something neurological going on. I am thinking I should maybe just give her some prednisolone. Is there anything to lose at this point in time? I really don't think she has much longer with us :(

I have given her a cosy box in the bottom of the cage and made sure she has access to water. I will also try giving her extra (soft?) food. As if looking after the 19 new imports isn't enough to do......

My daughter is going to be devastated. Not only have we lost Paws recently, we also lost her sister a month earlier from a probable heart condition.

Post subject: Re: Probable neurological symptoms in 18 month female
 Post Posted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 9:58 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Just rushing past... I agree that steroids would be worth trying, but also get her urine tested in case of a UTI.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 8:00 am 

Thanks Mary!

Having talked to the rat sitters again, it seems Trixie was generally ok for the majority of her stay with them. The feeling is that something acute probably happened yesterday before we picked her up.

She seems a bit better today. She has willingly come out of the cage this morning and has been wandering around slowly. She seems weaker on her left side and is leaning to that side when walking. I think she has had a stroke, does that sound like a plausible explanation?

I have given her a dose of prednisolone and some extra food which she enjoyed. My plan is now to watch and wait and see how she does.

Any other suggestions? Thanks!
Helen

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:29 am 

Oh no :(
I agree it does sound neuro. It sounds like it has crept in subtlely over the last week rather than a sudden change that you would see with a stroke, so I would be looking to use steroids - in lieu of any other symptoms of infection, remember steroids have an immunosuppressant effect. Keep vigilant for secondary infection creeping in too as this can happen with brain tumours.
That said, you should see improvement within a day or so if the steroids are helping.

I would also give her a piece of solid food and watch how she holds it, does she have dexterity in her paws, is she able to crunch it properly.
Supplemental syringe feeding can be helpful for them too as if limb strength is going then holding themselves in a good position to eat even soft food isnt that easy. Its also quite comforting for them and helps keeps the food intake up.

Always worth using a DIP test strip on her pee to check kidney function.
Were she and Paws related ?

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Mon Oct 02, 2017 12:09 pm 

Poor Trixie and poor you. :( Nothing to add to what the others have suggested, just wanted to send you my sympathy! :hearts:

Post Posted: Sat Oct 07, 2017 3:06 pm 

Today we have had to say goodbye to Trixie :cry: .

She went downhill fairly rapidly at the end and became weak and floppy and unable to feed herself. The time came when it was clear we had to take her to be pts. Such a sad decision to make even when you know it is for the best.

We have now lost 3 beautiful girls in the last 7 weeks. All really before their time and from different conditions. We are very sad but at least have 3 more crazy girls to distract us from our loss.

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 12:05 am 

So sorry for your loss Helen! :cry:

I have been away from the forum for a while so have been going through recent threads trying to catch up on things. I read about your battle with Paws so am very sad to hear that you have had to say goodbye to Trixie so soon after. Fingers crossed your remaining girls will stay healthy for a very long time to come. I hope that you can take some solace from the knowledge that you did everything that you could for them and all three girls went knowing that they were loved!

Play hard at the bridge Trixie :rattyrainbow:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 1:52 pm 

Oh no, so sorry Helen :(
Its especially sad to have lost her so soon after Paws and their friend but she knew love and care and friendship and that counts for everything.

Run free and strong again Trixie with your friends at the bridge :rattyrainbow:

:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Post Posted: Sun Oct 08, 2017 4:37 pm 

I'm so sorry. :( Do take some time for yourselves now; it must have been a pretty hectic and stressful couple of months for you all. :hearts:

Page 1 of 1 [ 9 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health