Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Post subject: Advice please
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 2:47 pm 

I am looking for advice about my 3 month old bucks.
One of them sneezes occasionally, its not much at all and only happens sometimes if he has been washing his face or play fighting with his brothers, could this be something irritating his nose?
And one of my other boys made the tiniest squeak noise when he was eating something yesterday, its not like the normal squeak I hear when one of them is annoying the other one by not allowing them to wash him etc.
Also I've noticed the one who squeaked often lifts his head up alot like he is sniffing the room but because this happens during free range am I right in assuming that he is just trying to sniff his environment?
I'm new to rats so Im not sure if this is normal behaviour or not and was just looking for advice here as I'd rather not take them to the vets if it is not needed as one of my boys is still very timid by new people and can become very skittish and nervous around people he doesn't know so I don't want to cause unneeded stress.

Thankyou.

Post subject: Re: Advice please
 Post Posted: Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:55 pm 

Occasional sneezes don't generally worry me - if it's very frequent or if he's got noisy breathing, I'd be more concerned, but the odd little sneeze is probably just irritation. I'd also not worry about the squeak either - rats have a very wide range of vocalisations, so the odds are it was just a normal squeak that you've not heard before.

You're right in guessing that the room-sniffing is normal behaviour; rats are very inquisitive and smell is one of their most important exploratory senses :) They've got pretty poor eyesight, so smell and hearing tend to be the major ones, and then touch afterwards - they use their whiskers to sense vibrations, movements, textures of objects etc, they're very sensitive!

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-four beautiful whiskery angels~

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 6:03 pm 

Thankyou for getting back to me! That makes me feel better, they did sneeze on carefresh but i changed them to bedmax and theyve been okay since apart from toms occasional sneeze. And how often would you say lifting their head to sniff is too much? Because they all occasionally lift their head to sniff but Ghost does it alot more than the others (the same one who made a squeak noise while eating his chicken) but again I dont know if he sniffs more because hes the scared timid one.

Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 7:36 pm 

The sniffing thing mostly depends on how interested they are in what's going on around them - maybe he just finds smells more interesting than the others, while the others prefer to explore what's on the floor around them? It might be that he's just being a bit more cautious than the others, but that's nothing to worry about in and of itself :) Hopefully he'll learn to relax a little more!

Gone but never forgotten: Twenty-four beautiful whiskery angels~

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 3:34 am 

Thankyou! He is so much more confident than he was which is making me so proud! At first he'd hide in his sputnik alot but since talking to him through the cage all the time and placing my hand next to him while hes out/in his cage he likes to run under blankets on me and will even eat a treat or two on me! He's started running about with his brothers a bit now too so i'm going to carry on being patient :)

Page 1 of 1 [ 5 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health