Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Small hard lump
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 10:07 am 

Hi all,

got back from a weekend away last night and found a small pea-sized hard lump on the top of Sam's back. I left straight from work on Friday so I had not seen the boys since free-range time on Thursday night where everyone got lots of cuddles and scritches and there was absolutely nothing there then. My other half was looking after them over the weekend and although he is "happy" to feed, water and keep a general eye on them, he is not confident enough to get them out for normal daily health checks so I am not sure exactly when it appeared.

The lump is hard, there is no swelling/puffiness around it, no scab, no hair loss and the skin on top of the lump is quite pale/normal looking. All of the previous tumors that I have had to deal with (in other rats, not Sam) have started as soft lumps that turned harder later in some cases, does this just sound like a fatty lump? I am just a bit worried about how quickly it appears to have formed. Am I jumping the gun a bit if I book him into the vets for Saturday? :roll:

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post subject: Re: Small hard lump
 Post Posted: Tue Oct 24, 2017 8:05 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

Sounds more like a sebaceous cyst perhaps.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 9:34 am 

Thanks Mary!

I will just keep an eye on it for now and hold off on the vets unless it changes dramatically. In your experience do these types of cyst tend to come to a head or do they just sit harmlessly under the skin? I am tempted to start bathing it with warm water to encourage it to the surface, if it is going to go that way anyway.

Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Post Posted: Wed Oct 25, 2017 5:31 pm 
Fancy Rats Team

They often just stay put, but if they are right under the skin, they can open up like a flower on squeezing :P I don't think bathing has any effect on them as the pus is solid.

Zephyr Rat Stud

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health