Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Post subject: Cut on leg
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 01, 2017 10:01 pm 

Come home today to find star-lord pounding on Odin. Odin is an old boy with hld. I stopped it happening immediately but Odin has a cut on his leg, I think it has happened sort of accidentally. The cut isn’t deep, just the top layer of skin but it is staying open. Does this warrant a vet visit?

I don’t know whether to separate the boys and put Odin in a hospital cage with a calm boy. Trouble is I go on holiday in a week. I have a pet sitter coming in to feed other pets so I can leave these two boys at home and my main group going to a friends. My friend doesn’t have room for two cages. Or do I leave them together in the hopes that there are no other issues. My friend is used to animals but has never looked after rats before. (My other friend who usually looks after them is no longer able to).

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Cut on leg
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:42 pm 

If it's just skin-deep then I'd maybe give it a saline wash but otherwise just monitor carefully for signs of infection (redness, swelling, warmness to touch).

If Odin is too old/frail to stand up for himself then I'd separate. If it's going to be a hospital cage for Odin and his calm friend then would it just stack nicely on top of the holiday cage for the others so at least it wouldn't take up extra footprint? Or they can stay at home and be looked after by the sitter. Better that than potentially leaving your friend with an unsettled group.

Post subject: Re: Cut on leg
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 02, 2017 7:43 pm 

I think I am going to separate for the holiday. I don’t think Odin will be with us much longer but he is hanging in there. He has lost a lot of weight despite eating very well and always being first to the bowl even through the rush. I will just have to start with intros again when I get home. :roll: I have never had such an unsettled group, half of them are neutered too.

Page 1 of 1 [ 3 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health