Enrofloxacin

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
sardines

Enrofloxacin

Post by sardines » Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am

Hey,

My rattie Petal, seems completely well but has been sneezing and grunting for a little while so I took her to the vets today. They've given me an oral solution of 25mg/ml Enrofloxacin which I am to dilute 1:4 with water. This is all well and grand but she won't take it with water. Any chance I'm able to dilute with Ella's kitchen pouches as she loves them? :lol:

Thanks!

[cub]

Re: Enrofloxacin

Post by [cub] » Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm

Yep! Most medications need to be disguised in something tasty for a rat to be willing to take them, and if your rat is already keen on a particular treat then that's a good thing to try first. Good luck! :luck:
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

sardines

Re: Enrofloxacin, bleeding?

Post by sardines » Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm

I've noticed today a couple dribbles off blood seeming to come from her vagina. Could this be to do with the antibiotics? I will ring the vets tomorrow and ask advice.

Very worrying, she still seems spritely :(

[cub]

Re: Enrofloxacin

Post by [cub] » Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am

Bleeding from the vagina is not one of the known adverse effects of enrofloxacin so it's very unlikely to be that. She needs to see a vet; if it really is blood and it really is coming from her vagina, it's probably a uterine infection and she probably needs a spay ASAP. It could also be coming from her urethra, in which case it's probably a urinary tract infection and requires antibiotics (usually co-trimoxazole for a UTI, and try to get it in tablet form as the liquid form is harder to disguise in food).
Poo-shoveller to: Lita, Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lia the scruffbag, Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit, Falere the contrary, Mirala the best and finest, Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Return to “Health”