Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Post subject: Enrofloxacin
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 11:46 am 

Hey,

My rattie Petal, seems completely well but has been sneezing and grunting for a little while so I took her to the vets today. They've given me an oral solution of 25mg/ml Enrofloxacin which I am to dilute 1:4 with water. This is all well and grand but she won't take it with water. Any chance I'm able to dilute with Ella's kitchen pouches as she loves them? :lol:

Thanks!

Post subject: Re: Enrofloxacin
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:07 pm 

Yep! Most medications need to be disguised in something tasty for a rat to be willing to take them, and if your rat is already keen on a particular treat then that's a good thing to try first. Good luck! :luck:

Post subject: Re: Enrofloxacin, bleeding?
 Post Posted: Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:30 pm 

I've noticed today a couple dribbles off blood seeming to come from her vagina. Could this be to do with the antibiotics? I will ring the vets tomorrow and ask advice.

Very worrying, she still seems spritely :(

Post subject: Re: Enrofloxacin
 Post Posted: Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:36 am 

Bleeding from the vagina is not one of the known adverse effects of enrofloxacin so it's very unlikely to be that. She needs to see a vet; if it really is blood and it really is coming from her vagina, it's probably a uterine infection and she probably needs a spay ASAP. It could also be coming from her urethra, in which case it's probably a urinary tract infection and requires antibiotics (usually co-trimoxazole for a UTI, and try to get it in tablet form as the liquid form is harder to disguise in food).

Page 1 of 1 [ 4 posts ] 

Board index » Fancy Rats Forum » Rat Care » Health