Tails Falling Off

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Sabrina

Tails Falling Off

Post by Sabrina » Thu Dec 28, 2017 3:36 am

I had a litter born and, after cleaning the cage several days later, the mom refused to go back to her babies. Luckily I had other mommies that could foster them. I noticed, when moving them, that one had a dead section on its tail. It looked suspiciously like Ring Tail Syndrome.

Every baby in this litter has developed the same thing. A "ring" forms around the tail, the portion below the ring dies and falls off. Every pup in the litter has this issue. None of the other rats, pups or adults, are showing the same symptoms.

Ring Tail Syndrome is typically only found in lab rats, and the cause is high temperature and low humidity. Again, none of my other rats have this. My vet is as much at a loss as I am. Nowhere can either of us find that it is genetic, but, in this case, we believe it must be.

The pups eat and drink just fine and are the same size of their foster siblings.

Have any of you seen this condition?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Tails Falling Off

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Dec 28, 2017 4:08 pm

Never seen it, no.

Incidentally, I wouldn't clean out a nursery cage until the babies are on the move, at around 2 weeks. You can offer fresh bedding and let the mum change the nest as she sees fit instead though.

Sabrina

Re: Tails Falling Off

Post by Sabrina » Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:12 am

Thank you.

Return to “Health”