Can't get my boy to take medicine... Help

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Tingles84

Can't get my boy to take medicine... Help

Post by Tingles84 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:45 pm

Hi,
My rat has been given anti biotics and anti inflammatories for a possible chest infection. I can't get him to take them. He isn't fooled by hiding them in tasty treats, I can't hold him still for long enough to get it into his mouth. I tried putting some on him to lick off during grooming and that didn't work either. Any suggestions would be amazing, I'm at my wits end and worried his illness will get worse.

Caza66

Re: Can't get my boy to take medicine... Help

Post by Caza66 » Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:01 pm

I know you said you tried tasty treats but I always use a bread and peanut butter or avocado. If it is tablet form, crush up and mix with peanut butter or avocado or if liquid, squeeze into a small piece of bread (half a fingernail size) and already some peanut butter. The only time it fails is if the medicine is septrin, as the quantity of septrin they need to take is too large. So hopefully, one of these will work.
My current gang :hearts: Drax, Rocket, Groot, Star-lord, Yondu, Neb
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:19 am

Yoghurt can be a good cunning disguise as well, you could try a strong flavoured one like toffee or caramel to mask the taste. Good luck :luck:
Rose with Rescue boys Frank, Dean and Sammy
The rat-friendly cat Beans and the Russian (vertically challenged) hamster Horatio Hamblower
Sleep well my beautiful girls Pip and Loki :girly: :rattyrainbow: :hearts:
Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Jan 16, 2018 5:51 pm

I find tuna is good for disguising baytril.

Tingles84

Post by Tingles84 » Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:03 pm

Been trying him with custard... He loves it but knows when it's medicated! He's sneezing all the time but the vet said he's otherwise very healthy... No wheezing or anything, lovely coat etc. We're inclined to think he's allergic to his bedding or something so my partner is going to get some different stuff tomorrow to see if that helps.

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Wed Jan 17, 2018 3:21 pm

My boys will take most things mixed into a blob of red berry malt paste, although some prefer the blob to be presented on a finger rather than a spoon. :lol:

One of my boys will only take 'undoctored' malt paste but will happily eat anything disguised in a blob of liver paste, sold for dogs.

Years ago, a small piece of value mini roll, chocolate or vanilla worked well to disguise meds.

I've also found Ellas kitchen banana puree baby food a winner for some of my 'more discerning' boys. :luck:
:oldbuck: Merlin :oldbuck: Marvin :dumbo: Herbie
:dumbo: Harvey :dumboteen: Chester

Return to “Health”