Rat's swolllen front paws!

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Tereza

Rat's swolllen front paws!

Post by Tereza » Sat Jan 27, 2018 7:49 pm

Hello! I'm a recent rat's owner from Portugal. My two boys, Watson and Crick are 3/4 months old.
I've recently noticed that Watson's front paws are quite swollen, I've already contacted a vet (waiting for an answer as exotik vets are not that common here). It's not the whole paw, both of them (the front ones). The "fingers" are the one swollen, not the ankle or other part, just the fingers. What could this be? I'll be contacting their breeder soon but meanwhile it would help to get some answers.

I should add that he's eating well (though he's quite smaller then his brother) and he doesn't seem to be in pain. He can walk over his paws, but he seems lazier and lazier. He can't quite climb though, he was not ever much of a climber but he tries, he falls. Whereas his brother is a natural climber and has much smaller "fingers" and that leads me to believe Watson's "fingers" are not at their normal shape.

Thank you!

Caza66

Re: Rat's swolllen front paws!

Post by Caza66 » Sun Jan 28, 2018 9:06 am

Hi and welcome. Is it possible that he has caught his paws in anything, perhaps in a ladder, or a door, or a wire floor? That is the only thing I can think of with it being both paws. If that is the case a bit of pain killer, such as dog metacam (1 drop) or children’s ibuprofen (sorry, can’t remember the doseage) hope somebody can offer that info.
My current gang :hearts: Groot, Star-lord, Yondu
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Tereza

Post by Tereza » Mon Jan 29, 2018 10:47 pm

Thank you very much for your answer. I'm still waiting for the vet's response. Can I medicate him without a vet visit?

Wilcox_87

Post by Wilcox_87 » Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:00 pm

Hello, welcome to FR and the World of rats!

I use the Calprofen dosage that Bazu worked out a couple of years ago which is 0.04ml-0.12ml per 100g of rat http://www.fancyratsforum.co.uk/viewtop ... en#p280095. Two of mine will take it straight from the syringe but for one it has to be disguised in something more yummy. Treating with pain relieving medication is fine as a temporary solution while you are waiting for a vet visit but if symptoms persist then it is definitely worth getting him booked in as the pain killer/anti inflammatory will treat the symptoms but not the true cause. Can you see blood/bruising under his nails or anything? As this would indicate a trauma from a fall or getting his feet trapped like Caza suggested. If this is the case you might find the swelling goes down before you manage to get an appointment. It is certainly worth checking the cage for anything hazardous just in case :luck:
Rose with Rescue boys Frank, Dean and Sammy
The rat-friendly cat Beans and the Russian (vertically challenged) hamster Horatio Hamblower
Sleep well my beautiful girls Pip and Loki :girly: :rattyrainbow: :hearts:
Wildie baby boy: Moley :baby: :rattyrainbow: :hearts: You are always in my heart little one

Tereza

Post by Tereza » Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:07 pm

I've booked a pet visit for tomorrow, as I'm a bit scared to use medication withouth consulting a vet.
He doesn't seem to have any bruises, but his paws are exceptionally pink. He doesn't seem to get any better, and have been past more than a week I deemed a vet visit is crucial. Thank you for your advices.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Wed Jan 31, 2018 9:36 pm

Good luck and I hope it’s nothing too serious.

Tereza

Post by Tereza » Sun Feb 04, 2018 2:42 pm

Just passing by to live a quick update. The visit vet went really well. She believes it's nothing serious as she can't feel any sort of injuries. As it was a bit swollen she prescribed an anti-inflammatory. Apparently I was being sort of a mamma bear as she said the swelling was quite minor and she had seen quite worst. All for all, I'm reassured and baby Watson shall be cmuch better in a few days ;)

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:43 pm

Good outcome. You will get to know your rats and when something is wrong and when something is really wrong. He’ll soon be running around.

Return to “Health”