Hey, guys! I need to know if this litter is safe

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Krothy11

Hey, guys! I need to know if this litter is safe

Post by Krothy11 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 3:54 pm

Hey everyone!

So me and my girlfriend are going to get 2 female rats, we can't wait to go get them! This week I ordered a bunch of stuff (a cage, some toys, food, etc). I also bought litter. Even though i spent weeks searching about pet rats and what to buy and how to care for them, i ordered wood pellets. I don't know if i messed up! I'm asking for help because i wanna know if i should order a different litter and get it in time for the young rats to have a safe litter from the first day.

Quoting the product's description: "Wuapu Amisand Rody contains compressed pellets made of 100% natural wood chips which, thanks to their high absorbency, work as an ideal substrate for rodents, bird or cat cages or rabbit hutches.
Lightweight product. It does not stick to your pet’s hair or paws. Prevents odors. Wuapu Amisand Rody is a non-polluting product and therefore it can be disposed of after use in an organic waste container. This product contains no harmful or toxic substances, so it does not represent any danger to humans, pets or the environment."

Can't wait to have my ratties and be an active member of this community!

Thanks,

Krothy

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Hey, guys! I need to know if this litter is safe

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:44 pm

Welcome to FR, and the future joys of keeping rats. :D

I'm afraid wood pellets just disintegrate into sawdust, so yep, you'll need a different litter for them.

I would suggest 100% paper pellets for the toilets, and then a thick layer of something loose and soft for the main floor. Not sure where you're from, but in the UK that would be back 2 nature pellets, and shredded cardboard or kiln dried dust extracted shavings, I like to use finacard.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 6:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard of that one. I would use it rather than through it away. If there are any issues, then through it away.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Krothy11

Post by Krothy11 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:29 pm

cyber ratty wrote:Welcome to FR, and the future joys of keeping rats. :D

I'm afraid wood pellets just disintegrate into sawdust, so yep, you'll need a different litter for them.

I would suggest 100% paper pellets for the toilets, and then a thick layer of something loose and soft for the main floor. Not sure where you're from, but in the UK that would be back 2 nature pellets, and shredded cardboard or kiln dried dust extracted shavings, I like to use finacard.
Thank you so muchfor your reply!

Maybe a way to still be able to use it would be to buy a litter box with a metal bar floor? This way the wood pellets wont be broken, right?

Krothy11

Post by Krothy11 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 7:31 pm

Caza66 wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard of that one. I would use it rather than through it away. If there are any issues, then through it away.
Thanks! :)

Yeah, cause wood isn't bad, right? As long as it isn't cedar or pine. And the fact that it is pellet form makes it a lot better in terms of dust, correct?

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Feb 04, 2018 10:16 pm

Krothy11 wrote:
Caza66 wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum. I haven’t heard of that one. I would use it rather than through it away. If there are any issues, then through it away.
Thanks! :)

Yeah, cause wood isn't bad, right? As long as it isn't cedar or pine. And the fact that it is pellet form makes it a lot better in terms of dust, correct?
Oops, missed the bit that said wood :oops: perhaps you could mix a bit of it with another one, to use it up.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Feb 07, 2018 10:00 am

Krothy11 wrote:Maybe a way to still be able to use it would be to buy a litter box with a metal bar floor? This way the wood pellets wont be broken, right?
Barred floors are not good - rats can injure themselves (sprained ankles or worse), and they also practise copraphagy (re-ingesting certain poos), so they need easy access to their poos.

You could test the pellets by wetting them, and then letting them dry out - if they disintegrate then don't use them.

Krothy11

Post by Krothy11 » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:34 pm

Problem solved! I was still in time to change the product and pay only the difference! So I swaped it for a paper pellet one :D All good

Thank you all for the help!

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sat Feb 10, 2018 9:41 am

That’s good.

Return to “Health”