Is this the right baytril dose?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Onthewires

Is this the right baytril dose?

Post by Onthewires » Thu Feb 08, 2018 12:45 pm

One of my girls has had rattly breathing recently - she seems fine in herself but it doesn't seem to be shifting so I decided to start a course of baytril as I had quite a lot left over from a previous rat. Her weight was 290g, using the dosage calculator online I got a dose of 0.28 per day, which she was on for a week. There hasn't been any improvement, so popped her up to the vets this morning, assuming they'd put her on a combination of baytril and doxy, but she's given me more baytril and told me to give a lower dose of 0.06 twice daily for 2 weeks. Does this sound right? Just seems a very small amount, especially considering she's had a higher dose before, just worried that she'll build up resistance and that the prolonged infection will cause scarring. Should I continue giving what I was giving her before?
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Is this the right baytril dose?

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Feb 08, 2018 1:47 pm

That is low if the concentration is the same as usual, but some vets seem to prescribe a stronger one. I think the normal baytril is 2.5%, but some people have had 10%.

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Thu Feb 08, 2018 2:13 pm

Both the baytril that I've got left over and the one I've been given are 2.5%, I think when I was calculating the dose before i was using the 5mg/kg dose, converted into mg/lb. Would you recommend sticking to what she's prescribed or continue giving the 0.28ml dose?
Leah

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Feb 09, 2018 10:00 am

I'd give the 0.28 (divided in two)

Return to “Health”