Old RI

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
sardines

Old RI

Post by sardines » Wed Feb 28, 2018 9:05 am

Hey

I just adopted 2 new baby rats about 3 months old with the intention of housing them with my elderly 2 when they’re ready. When I got them the old owner mentioned how they suffered from a previous RI but had been cleared, and just before I got them they were taken back to a vet to be sure, and again said it was clear but they would sneeze from time to time due to scarring.

I’m not that well rehearsed with RI as I have only experienced it on a small scale with one of my girls a while back and she was put on antibiotics to have it cleared.

I was wondering if what the owner/vet said was true and that the sneezing is a result of scarring from the old RI or whether it’s something to worry about/keep an eye on?

Thanks!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Old RI

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Feb 28, 2018 2:57 pm

There's always going to be a chance their infection could return (probably just myco), but keep an eye on how they are in themselves rather than rushing to the vet if they sneeze or become rattly, then you'll be able to distinguish between scarring noises and actual infection requiring treatment.

Return to “Health”