Odd behaviour after ear infection

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
purpleratti3

Odd behaviour after ear infection

Post by purpleratti3 » Thu Mar 29, 2018 7:00 pm

My gentle soul Herbie has had an ear infection causing a head tilt as well as a respiratory flare up. He is stable on treatment (steroids and dual antibiotics) and the head tilt has become less marked although still there.

In all the years I've kept rats I have never had one with a head tilt before and just wondered if anyone has any advice.

So as the head tilt has resolved, some of his behaviour has become odd, he prefers to walk backwards, he prefers to turn left if at all possible and has a tendency to throw himself randomly off things (in the style of Mrs Doyle from Father Ted! :lol: ). I have got shelf type hammocks around the cage to catch any falls, he still uses the wheel but then chucks himself out of it when he's done!! When he wants to he can climb right up to the top hammock in cage or up to my shoulder in an attempt to avoid meds......

He seems happy in himself (often found toasty warm in the middle of the rat pile!), is eating well and maintaining his weight, just behaving rather oddly. We did wonder if his vision was affected somehow as he almost has the red eye head sway at times and he is a black eyed Russian blue! Any thoughts gratefully received.
:oldbuck: Merlin :oldbuck: Marvin :dumbo: Herbie
:dumbo: Harvey :dumboteen: Chester

[cub]

Re: Odd behaviour after ear infection

Post by [cub] » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:14 am

I'm not an expert on ear infections, but I guess the loss of balance/coordination that they can cause could explain this change in behaviour. I'd keep an eye out for any further loss of coordination though as I would start to suspect something neurological and not related to the infection at that point.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Thu Apr 05, 2018 12:33 pm

Thank you for your response, he doesn't seem to be showing any typical neurological symptoms, so I guess it's all just behaviour/balance issues in response to the ear infection, just not something I have experienced before.

He's still cheeky as ever and very good at over emphasising his head tilt to get treats. :hearts:

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Sat Apr 07, 2018 12:43 pm

My boy Seavers (aka Colt Seavers from the fall guy) came to me as a rescue with a very bad inner ear infection. He would literally corkscrew in my hands.
I treated with ABs and the infection cleared up, the tumbling stopped, his balance was mostly good. But the head tilt remained with him for the rest of his days.
I believe that can be the case once the brain adjusts to the new "up" and like your boy he was happy and active and never had any reoccurrence of the infection.

Youre already doing as I did by putting extra fall catchers in and basically just approach it like you would an older rat that's less stable on the footing - assume he is more likely to slip off a ledge/cagetop/shoulder than the others.

I second what Cub says, its best to keep vigilant for signs of it coming back or the onset of anything like brain tumour - especially as residual symptoms of the IEI will potentially mask early signs of such things.

He sounds lovely :love:
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

purpleratti3

Post by purpleratti3 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 6:25 pm

Thanks for your response Doug, you've put my mind at ease but I will keep him 'under surveillance' for neurological signs! I've also ordered some extra covers for the shelf hammocks, they (and the wire frame!) seem to get 'over stretched' by some of my 'chunkier' boys leaping on them from a height :lol:

I've had a bit if a rough month with my rattie boys this month, as well as Herbie being poorly, just lost Charlie at one year old to a ZGT, totally heart breaking :(

Herbie is totally adorable, managed to convince my friend to feed him treats yesterday by looking super cute by over emphasising his head tilt, he then tried a trick he's learnt from Merlin where you sit on the treat and pretend you didn't get one.....I'm wise to that trick, but it worked on my friend, you've got to love them :hearts:

Return to “Health”