Need HELP for possible dying rat

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
overlanm

Need HELP for possible dying rat

Post by overlanm » Wed Apr 04, 2018 11:36 pm

My pet rat Marlo is almost 2 years old. A couple months ago I took him to the vet because it seemed like he had a respiratory infection so he got two medications one antibiotic and one tumor medication which seemed to clear everything up. NOW the vet did say if it comes back as soon as the meds are done it means he has something more serious like a lung tumor. Marlo is a very sensitive little guy and HATES the vet gives him stress poops:( I knew in getting a rat from petsmart meant his life expentancy is a little different but I just fell in love in the store. Marlo is wheezing,sneezing, sounds conjested when he breathes and sneezes a blood like substance everywhere. He is still eating, drinking and more cuddley. I need some advice on how to keep him happy the next little bit. I dont want to euthanize him or send for x rays as he is pretty fragile and I want his last memories to be happy not at the vet office.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Need HELP for possible dying rat

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Apr 05, 2018 9:24 am

What antibiotic did he get, how long did he take it for, and do you know whether the dose was high enough? Did you give it directly or in water?
Was the tumour medication a steroid?

Here in the UK the usual problem is that inexperienced vets prescribe too little for not long enough, and that's why they don't work. However, sometimes a combination of antibiotics will work better - the usual mix would be ronaxan (doxycycline) 5mg/kg twice a day, and baytril (enrofloxacin) 5-10mg/kg twice a day.

overlanm

Re: Need HELP for possible dying rat

Post by overlanm » Thu Apr 05, 2018 3:36 pm

Yes those are the antibiotics he took!!! I gave one to him twice a day and the other once a day. He was on them for 7 weeks and I gave it to him straight up no water.

Return to “Health”