Not eating and unusual behaviour

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Mrc1988

Not eating and unusual behaviour

Post by Mrc1988 » Sat Apr 21, 2018 9:34 am

Hi,

I got my first 3 male rats nearly 3 weeks ago all aged 8 months I’m told. I’m now concerned about one of them. He is the smallest of the three. Last night when I fed them he had no interest in food and seemed a little lethargic. I got him out of his cage and he was alert and I couldn’t see any obvious signs of concern his eyes and nose seem fine etc. I left him over night, this morning he is acting the same, refusing food and inactive compared to usual and to the others. Could it be the warm weather we’re having? Their cage is in a room at the back of the house which does get quite warm. I’m going to see how things are today and if not improved I’ll take him to the vets tomorrow. Has anyone else had a similar problem before?

[cub]

Re: Not eating and unusual behaviour

Post by [cub] » Sat Apr 21, 2018 11:22 am

It could be the heat, but given that it's just him and not his cagemates acting subdued, and also given that he's not eating, I'd get him to the vets sooner rather than later.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

Mrc1988

Post by Mrc1988 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:31 pm

Thank you for your reply, I did take him to the vets as shortly after posting this he took a drastic turn for the worse when I found blood all over the cage, after checking all of them for injuries there were no obvious injuries or causes. The vet kept him in for an hour to montitor and administer fluids. When they injected the fluids the injection site wouldn’t stop bleeding, they then found traces of blood in his urine and around his mouth. He was very poorly indeed, the vet phoned me for consent to euthanise but sadly he passed away during the phone call. It’s not certain what it was but the vets opinion is that he likely from birth had a disorder that caused his blood not to clot.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 8:53 pm

Oh no, that is so sad. So sorry for your loss. You did the right thing getting him to the vets as soon as possible. Hugs to you and your two boys.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Health”