Sudden death

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Bob+Bernard18

Sudden death

Post by Bob+Bernard18 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:06 pm

Hi guys, this is the first time Iv ever used a forum in my life. I am absolutely heartbroken beyond belief today,this morning I found my gorgeous Bernard dead in his cage. He was the most amazing rat I have ever had and I believe he was meant to come into my life but he was only 8 months old and was the most loving amazing rat to have ever touched my heart. I can’t bel he has died. I had him out last night as always and he was 100% his usual happy lively loving self. I put him to bed at 9.30pm and when I got up at 7am today he was dead in his cage on the bottom. No sign of injury. No blood. Just gone. What could have happened to him. Has anyone ever experienced this before in a young healthy rat. I’m grieving so badly and need to see if I can get someone to look at him and figure out what happened to him.

Any insight would be appreciated I’m
Just so devastated and can’t cope knowing il
Never get to see him again. Xx

hjanders

Re: Sudden death

Post by hjanders » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:12 pm

I am no expert and have no answers but I wanted to say I am so sorry for your loss. Hopefully someone will come along soon with some possibilities for you.

Take care x
Popcorn, Me-Me, Nelle, Luna, Maggie and Tutsie
Never to be forgotten: Trixie, Paws, Tica, Doris and Bella ❤️

Bob+Bernard18

Post by Bob+Bernard18 » Sat Apr 28, 2018 5:20 pm

Thank you, I can’t tell you how gutted I am. I can not shake a bit of this out my head. Knowing I will never see his wonderful and cheeky wee self ever again. He honestly had a huge impact on my life and my happiness in these last few months. Iv only had him for 6 months and he was just incredible. He Came to his name and everything, he was so friendly and loving and never failed to make me
Laugh and smile. I’m Heart broken. Seriously shocked and missing him so much. I just want to start this day all
Over again. Gorgeous wee Bernard, I just don’t understand it at all. Xx

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 pm

I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Sudden deaths like this are usually due to a cardiovascular issue, often a heart attack or stroke. It's uncommon but not unheard of in young rats, particularly if they're from a poor genetic background (e.g. petshop). He may well have had an undiagnosed heart problem; they can appear symptomless until the worst happens, sadly. If he's from a reputable breeder then the breeder will certainly want to know what's happened, and may want a postmortem, but otherwise it's probably not worth further medical investigation.
Poo-shoveller to: Lia and Lita.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Delanynder the big floofy eejit (NLA28), Falere the contrary (NLA36), Mirala the best and finest (NLA36), Zephyr Opold the serene, and Rila the rodentist.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Apr 29, 2018 9:40 am

It must have been a terrible shock, so sorry. :(

I agree with heart being most likely, but another possibility is that he could have choked, although most rats will clear an obstruction by themselves.

Keep an eye on his companions, they can sometimes become depressed after a death but should revert to their normal selves after a few days. If Bernard only had one friend, then hard as it may feel, you should seek new rats asap - a couple of buck kittens around 9 weeks old would be ideal.

Bob+Bernard18

Post by Bob+Bernard18 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:11 pm

Thank you, it’s been awful. My little boy is so sad too.

Bob has become a really confident busy rat since Saturday. It’s really odd, he is exploring the whole room and is really changing. All lovely to see him
So happy but I didn’t expect this change. He got on well with buddy, they were a great pair. Xx

Bob+Bernard18

Post by Bob+Bernard18 » Tue May 01, 2018 9:14 pm

[cub] wrote:
Sat Apr 28, 2018 10:31 pm
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

Sudden deaths like this are usually due to a cardiovascular issue, often a heart attack or stroke. It's uncommon but not unheard of in young rats, particularly if they're from a poor genetic background (e.g. petshop). He may well have had an undiagnosed heart problem; they can appear symptomless until the worst happens, sadly. If he's from a reputable breeder then the breeder will certainly want to know what's happened, and may want a postmortem, but otherwise it's probably not worth further medical investigation.

Thank you, that’s what I thought. So tragic. Still can’t believe it. Miss him So much. Thanks
For Your reply.

Xx

Return to “Health”