Tumour removal costs

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Pandaikon

Tumour removal costs

Post by Pandaikon » Tue May 29, 2018 12:07 pm

Just wondering what people are paying for mamary tumour removal now? Last time I had to pay for one it was £90 or so, that was in 2013. I just got quoted for one (same vet as before) and it's around £350. I've already paid £120 for a biopsy of the tumour. There are two lumps right next to each other so are they just charging double? I kinda feel like I'm being taken for a ride a bit, but maybe I am just out of touch with current surgery costs :?

The lumps are on her shoulder, if that makes a difference. Last time it was from the groin and I understood that to be a trickier place to operate (closer to important organs).

Caza66

Re: Tumour removal costs

Post by Caza66 » Tue May 29, 2018 8:30 pm

I find I am very lucky with my vets, I get charged £40 for each lump removal.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed May 30, 2018 8:42 am

Gosh, two extremes!

I now pay about £130, that's gone up quite quickly from around £80.

£350 cannot be justifiable from the same vet that charged you 90 last time - they can't suddenly have massively higher running costs. Are they charging you for unnecessary extras like overnight hospitalisation or blood tests? I'd ask for a breakdown compared to your previous operation.

Pandaikon

Post by Pandaikon » Wed May 30, 2018 10:37 am

They said it's for the surgery, anaesthetic and pain relief, I certainly won't be leaving her overnight or anything. I do find they are an expensive vet generally but they're the best with rats that I've found in the area, although that's not saying much considering how bad others have been. This price just took me by surprise as I was expecting £200 max, I'm dreading her sisters getting lumps too as they're all about the same age and rescues so have unknown family histories. I imagine a lot of people couldn't afford these kinds of prices so just leave them untreated :(

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu May 31, 2018 8:40 am

The best way to reduce the chance of lumps is to keep them slim - maybe feed as little as 12g each per day.

Pandaikon

Post by Pandaikon » Mon Jun 04, 2018 10:32 am

She is a very slim, active rat, not at all overweight.

Return to “Health”