Sneezing/congestion nothing working... advice needed!

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
mischiefmade

Sneezing/congestion nothing working... advice needed!

Post by mischiefmade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:42 pm

Hi,

I bought 3 new rats last Tues (males: 10 wks/8 wks and 6 wks)- by the following day it was clear that Jerry had a sneezing/congestion problem - I switched out the bedding/ substrate to rule this out (Finacard + Aubiose to Back 2 Nature pellets + cardboard squares + Vetbed).
This didn't help - I took him to the vets on the thursday, they put him on Baytril (0.04ml twice daily) plus 0.03ml Metacam.
By Friday ALL of them were sneezing (Jerry still the most severe).
Took them all to the vets on Monday - all now on the Baytril and Metacam, and I was told to quarantine Jerry (as he is the worst and has the most productive sneezes).

Bottom line - Jerry has been on antibiotics for 8 days, Rick and Morty for 5... no improvement (no deterioration... but no improvement).
They all have varying degrees of sneezing with sort of squeaky/snotty noises when up and about.... There is no porphyrin and they are all eating and drinking. Rick and Morty are both very active... Jerry less so but I don't know whether this could be down to how miserable he is stuck on his own in the hospital cage.

Does anyone have any idea what might be wrong? I've had loads of rats - a lot of Myco experience over the years but never had a complete non-response to Baytril and the lack of porphyrin is, well, odd.
Any suggestions welcome... I started them on 0.02ml of kids Benydryl (1mg/1ml) yesterday as some have had success with that, and they are getting plenty of fresh veggies. Slightly at the end of my tether stress-wise and I've only had them for 11 days! :shock:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Sneezing/congestion nothing working... advice needed!

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:37 pm

They are all quite young, so apart from the possibility that they are only sneezing due to the stress of being in a new environment (which should settle within a couple of weeks), they may have parasitic bronchitis which requires treatment with an ivermectin product.

If that doesn't clear it, then it could be pasteurella which baytril isn't particularly effective against, so try synulox instead. (Incidentally, 0.04ml is a very low dose if the baytril is 2.5%, it would mean they should weigh only 100g, and at their age they should be more like 250g at least - so if you do have to resort to or continue with baytril, then the dose should be increased.)

Whatever it is though, all rats have been exposed to it, so there is no benefit (and quite a lot of detrimental effects) to separation, so please pop Jerry back in with the others.

mischiefmade

Post by mischiefmade » Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:01 pm

Hi, thanks for your reply...
I have some of the beaphar anti parasite stuff that contains ivermectin, but the dose is for rats over 300g (Rick is about 270, Jerry 225 and morty is only 170) do you think it would be okay to use (maybe doing 1/2 a pipette for morty?)... my worry is everything is going to be closed for the next couple of days though I could possibly blag a lift to pets at home to pick up the hamster version if necessary.
I shall reintroduce Jerry... it's been killing me to keep them apart! Poor wee mite.
X

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:31 pm

Sorry for the delay, I've been busy over the weekend... yes I would give it to them, and just reduce the amount to roughly the right proportion.

Return to “Health”