Rat just had surgery please help - odd procedure???

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
RattusRattus22

Rat just had surgery please help - odd procedure???

Post by RattusRattus22 » Fri Aug 31, 2018 10:19 pm

Hi there,

My rat, aged 2 recently had surgery to remove an abscess in his cheek under his eye, the vet was very adamant upon surgery. I add that in the past we have not had any problems with this vet. Upon picking him up, the vet has informed us that they went for the abscess from the outside of his cheek and that they found a lump (yet to be confirmed if cancerous or not). We were also told that they couldn't stitch the area (vague explanation given) so it has been left ESSENTIALLY LIKE A FLAP of skin HANGING OFF my poor little rat's face and we have been told to put manuka honey in the hole in his face to try and stick the flap on?????????? I realise I am no vet, however this whole situation is incredibly distressing for me and I absolutely cannot stand seeing my rat in discomfort. This just doesn't seem right, please please can someone give me some advice, and whether, as I fear, the vet has acted poorly?

Thank you very much in advance.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Rat just had surgery please help - odd procedure???

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Sep 01, 2018 12:46 pm

I'm afraid this sounds exactly like a Zymbals Gland Tumour (search for ZGT on here for other threads). The tumour causes an abscess to grow on the cheek below the ear. Vets have rarely ever heard of it.

The tumour itself is inoperable, so the decision of when to pts should be based on their quality of life and level of comfort. I'm sorry, but it's unlikely he has very long left. :(

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Sat Sep 01, 2018 4:06 pm

So sorry that you have to experience this. I have had a rat with zgt and it is not very nice at all. Bernie did live for a few weeks until we made the decision. Hugs to your little one. It does sound like your vet didn’t know much about zgt’s.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:20 pm

In terms of post op / open wound care, the key is keeping the wound clean. Manuka honey can work wonders - especially the vet grade stuff.
Theres also Vetericin wash and gel that is good too.
Rats are incredibly good healers and youre hopefully seeing the tissue granulating and new skin forming by now. The "flap" will likely die off as new skin forms underneath and your vet can snip it away.

Ive had to do it this way a couple of times, including for a facial abscess, and whilst not pleasant, it does work and they do heal.

The tumour as Cyber Ratty and Cazza have said, well thats another matter, its very sad but just concentrate on getting him healed up and spoil him with however long you have :love:
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Return to “Health”