Slightly uncoordinated

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Orinoco

Slightly uncoordinated

Post by Orinoco » Sat Sep 22, 2018 7:32 am

Hi, not sure if I’m imagining things but one of my babies seems to be slightly uncoordinated. She is 4 months old and up to now has been fine. She was the smallest of the 4 babies we got to add to our 4 older girls but quickly became the most inquisitive and cheekiest.
All 8 have bonded well and there have been no problems but yesterday there was an awful argument/noise from the cage. By the time I got there it had stopped but it did seem to involve Daisy although no-one had any signs of injury. In the cage Daisy’s movements seem a little jerky and for the last few days she seems to spend most of her time in one of the hammocks ( never on her own though).
When they came out to play last night she was straight out of the cage and running around. When she’s running she seems fine.it’s only with small movements that she seems jerky. Her appetite is fine.
None of my other ratties have ever been like this - should I be worried?

HereticPr1me

Re: Slightly uncoordinated

Post by HereticPr1me » Sun Sep 30, 2018 10:34 am

Honestly, Ive never seen this behaviour. How is she now ?
Based on how you describe her movement, and that she's ok at speed but jerky with slow movements, I think I would look at fine motor control.
How is her dexterity when manipulating pieces of food ? does she hold it ok, can she grab with both hands and hold it.
How is she at rearing up on her hind legs ? Does she seem strong or off balance.
How I her balance when walking along something narrow, like your arm or the cage door ? Does she use her tail for balance like the others.
Finally, I take it being 4 months now, you can see her body/head shape and proportions are normal in comparison to the others ? ie same skull shape and size.

That's really all I can think of. I would normally associate wobbliness or jerky movement with something neurological, but you'd likely see other symptoms such as circling, discomfort, lethargy, but it sounds like she's full of beans when she's out.
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Orinoco

Post by Orinoco » Wed Oct 03, 2018 5:36 pm

Thank you for replying but unfortunately Daisy has to be pts last Tuesday. I took her to the vets on that Saturday and they thought it was an ear infection and gave her antibiotics. She was a little worse on the Sunday but seemed much better on the Monday. Tuesday she couldn’t stand up but kept going round in circles and falling over and was very distressed so my poor little girl has gone. Since then one of my older girls has been sneezing lots so she went to the vets yesterday when the “rat man” was there and he said she had a bacterial infection which had become neurological in Daisy. Keeping our fingers crossed now that Indi is going to be ok but she’s gone down hill very quickly as well and isn’t really eating today.

Caza66

Post by Caza66 » Thu Oct 04, 2018 7:37 am

So sorry for your loss and hope that Indi improves :luck:
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Health”