red eyes - but tan coloured

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
emmakc

red eyes - but tan coloured

Post by emmakc » Mon Nov 26, 2018 2:51 pm

Hi, we are first time rat owners and our new little rattie (cookie) has red eyes. He's a lovely tan/biscuit colour and I was wondering if red eyes mean he can't see very well?

We got three boys a couple of weeks ago, they are now around 8 weeks old. Cookie is the smallest yet he's the bossiest and bravest of the bunch. He will often push chunk and fudge out of the way and steal their food!

Just interested if the red eyes means anything of importance that I need to look out for!

I've been reading loads on here today (great forum) and will try the dressing gown method later to try and help tame them. They are a cuteness overload!!

Thank you.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: red eyes - but tan coloured

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Nov 27, 2018 11:42 am

Hi, welcome to the forum :D

Some red eyed rats can have more difficulty seeing than others, so you may see him swaying his head from side to side to get a better focus, and if you find he gets startled when you approach then choose a phrase to say that will let him know you're about to pick him up. Otherwise, there should be no impact.

He sounds as though he may be a silver fawn - have a look at our varieties article to see what you think.

emmakc

Re: red eyes - but tan coloured

Post by emmakc » Wed Nov 28, 2018 2:22 pm

Hi Mary

Yes, he definitely looks like a silver fawn. He's the smallest and the only one with red eyes but he's the bravest and constantly jumps his brothers for their food!!

Thanks for the link, it was really interesting to see all the different varieties.

Emma

Return to “Health”