sneezing

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
stuart2018

sneezing

Post by stuart2018 » Wed Dec 19, 2018 1:42 am

So I am new to rat ownership, as I have had my rat for 2 weeks. I originally used towels as bedding (yes I know, rookie mistake). I didn't think that the towels absorbed the ammonia in the pee, so I switched to regular bedding. My rat is sneezing occasionally, not too often, and he is not breathing heavily or wheezing. Is this normal for rats? If not, what should I do? Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: sneezing

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Dec 19, 2018 9:30 am

Sneezing can be a sign of stress. Is he on his own? Rats are social animals and need to have same sex companions, being alone will be very stressful for him.

First double check that he is a boy (see article here), and then source a couple more baby boys (double check their sex too) of a similar age asap.

stuart2018

Post by stuart2018 » Thu Dec 20, 2018 2:20 pm

he is a boy and yes he is alone but i play with him atleast 5 hours a day

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:01 pm

It's not sufficient, he needs the companionship of his own kind. He needs them to communicate in rat terms with, to sleep with, to groom and to be groomed by, to play in a way only rats can play together, etc.

I've sent you a PM, hopefully I can help you locate some companions asap. :luck:

Return to “Health”