PT, ear infection or stroke?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Orinoco

PT, ear infection or stroke?

Post by Orinoco » Wed Dec 19, 2018 7:51 pm

One of my older girls is puzzling/worrying me at the moment and I’m Just not sure what to do for the best. My cheeky girl was 2 last month and about 2 weeks ago ate very little of her food from rat rations that she’s always loved but couldn’t get enough fresh food (they always have a little fresh food every night). I thought she was being picky but she lost quite a bit of weight so I decided to feed her cous cous and avacado etc to try and put some weight back on her which worked. She also had occasional trouble using her front paws but other than that everything was normal. On Friday evening something just didn’t seem right so I gave her some Enrocare. Over the weekend she got slightly unsteady, had a slight head tilt and falls over sometimes when grooming. The vet on Monday gave me some more medicine and said it could be a tumour, ear infection or a stroke. She also has a slight bald patch behind one ear which the vet said could be a sign of an ear infection.Nothing has changed in her behaviour for the last few days. She still has an enormous appetite, she comes out every night and wanders/runs around and will still try to climb into boxes etc. The slight discharge from her nose has gone and her eyes are bright but she still has some trouble holding food in her paws. I just can’t work out what the problem is - the change was so sudden but now she doesn’t get any better or any worse. Sorry I’ve written so much but she seems to have symptoms for all 3. Any advice would be gratefully received!

[cub]

Re: PT, ear infection or stroke?

Post by [cub] » Wed Dec 19, 2018 8:28 pm

I'm not an expert but it sounds like a brain tumour to me, sadly. Ear infections don't generally lead to difficulty using front paws, and I think if it was a stroke it wouldn't have gotten worse over the weekend like that?

I'd be inclined to at least add steroids and see if they help, since they're useful for tumours and strokes, and can help with ear infections too. Possibly cabergoline as well in case it's the right kind of PT, though to get a PT level dosage of cabergoline sensibly into a rat you're best off with the human-formulated tablets rather than Galastop. If she's on antibiotics already you may as well continue with those, at least until she's had a sensible-length course.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Din.
Fondly remembering: Xeltan the wonky, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Orinoco

Post by Orinoco » Thu Dec 20, 2018 5:17 pm

Thank you, I think I knew it was a tumour but was hoping someone would say it wasn’t - wishful thinking on my part! She’s going back to the vets tomorrow to see the “rat man”.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Dec 21, 2018 3:52 pm

Good luck at the vets, and extra scritches for the old girl. :hearts:
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn and Din.
Fondly remembering: Xeltan the wonky, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”