Spotty ears

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Kaykay87

Spotty ears

Post by Kaykay87 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 4:48 pm

So being the bleeding heart that I am, I was in my local pet shop picking up my rat food and spotted this gorgeous little female rat all alone, curled up shivering. The shop owner told me that she had been away and one of her staff sold all the others but her and she was really annoyed with them. The rat has lots of little white pimply lumps on her ears and I was told this was cause she had stopped drinking and eating and will go when she starts again. Just wondering if this is true or if ive been duped. The lady called it cauliflowering. I have had a look and can't see anything like mites on her, or scabs or spots anywhere else

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Spotty ears

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 26, 2019 6:20 pm

It will be mange mites, a quick application of ivermectin will sort it out. Poor girl, quite apart from leaving her alone, how could they not have treated her! She will be so uncomfortable. :x

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:54 pm

Gah, I was hoping it wasnt. She said it was "cauliflower ear" she isnt scratching any more than my big girls do and I have managed to check her fur and tail and they're clear. Hopefully I caught it early then

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jan 27, 2019 10:43 am

'Cauliflower ear' is something rugby players suffer from due to repeated trauma when their ears get mauled in a game.

I can't imagine why she thinks there is a link between ear spots and the rat being so depressed they aren't eating or drinking, which in itself is obviously an emergency situation and she needs to be given companions asap.

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 2:50 pm

I know, maybe she thought I wouldnt take her otherwise. I would have, but would have been nice to be answered honestly.
I am gonna have to treat all 3 now, as I had them all on me for a little intro yesterday. The new rat, truffle, is now eating and drinking really well. Shes really affectionate and such a sweet little thing. Only 7 weeks old apparently but i think she may be younger as shes teeny.
I have her quarantibe cage next to my big girls cage, they can't touch each other but she's so happy to see them.
I should have kept them apart longer but when I got truffle home I got her out the box and she just layed on my hand on her side, shaking. Shes like a new rat after only 24 hours

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 6:15 pm

So I just got her out for a cuddle and the spots are going down/disappearing. They look like little pimples.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Jan 28, 2019 9:04 am

That's good. Had you already treated her? Did you get a 'before' picture?

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Mon Jan 28, 2019 2:11 pm

I havent treated yet, came down with a stomach hug last night and can't stop vomiting, Blegh. Hoping to get her seen by vet tomorrow morning providing my stomach calms down. I have a before pic.
Ears look even clearer this afternoon, I'm beginning to think maybe its cause she was on hay and rough woodchip. Ive got pellets, fleece and tobs of hammocks and boxes

Return to “Health”