Pituitary dwarfism

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Wilcox_87

Pituitary dwarfism

Post by Wilcox_87 » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:38 pm

Hello all,

I picked up my three new fur babies a couple of weeks ago, and the girl said that one of the boys was very small, a runt as she called him. When I went to collect him I realised that there was far more to him than just being small. He has a very short face with big ears and the biggest eyes I have ever seen in a rat! He has a short squat body and these tiny stubby little legs, similar to a daschund dog. He is 17 months and 295g. Out of all the rats that I have had over the years, I have never seen anything quite like him. I thought immediately that there was something genetically weird going on (she got him from the very well known pet shop :roll:)

He had a bad URI when I picked him up (despite being told that he was perfectly healthy) so I got him straight to the vets for ABs and the first thing they said when they saw him was "this rat has Pituitary Dwarfism". I looked it up when I got home and all of the characteristics match him exactly. The only information that I can really find online is in scientific articles but I can't find much from a rat owner's perspective with regard to things to watch out for as they get older or any conditions that they are particularly prone to.

Does anyone here have any experience/ know somebody with a rat with dwarfism? I know in other species, dwarfism is often linked with shorter life expectancy but I am not sure if there is anything else that I should be looking out for.

He is responding very slowly to meds. He's been on Baytril for two weeks and Doxy for one week (they had to order the doxy in, hence the lag in treatment) and is still quite loud and nasally. He is back in at 6pm tomorrow so I am thinking of asking for steroids as another layer of treatment.

Thanks guys!
Rose with Damon, River and Robin
To all my little heartbreakers, too many to name here, most recently: Remy :rattyrainbow:
And my beautiful boy Beans. You were the best cat in the World and were ripped away from us far too soon. If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Pituitary dwarfism

Post by cyber ratty » Tue Feb 05, 2019 10:00 am

I've never heard of that. Very interesting though, could you post some pictures of him please?

Return to “Health”