Hooty babies

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Onthewires

Hooty babies

Post by Onthewires » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I picked up two 12 week old newbies at the weekend as long term company for my girl Ash, all seemed to be going well - when I went to pick the girls up they were perfectly healthy, silky coats, bright eyes, no sign of porphyrin etc. However 2 days later they both seem to have really hooty breathing. It actually woke me up this morning, and one of the girls, Bertie, was clinging onto the bars in the top corner of the cage looking like she was really struggling.

Have been to the vet today and she's given me a small amount of baytril, I'm hoping that will clear it up, but a bit concerned about the severity of the sound and what the next move is if it doesn't budge it. Have read a little bit about parasitic bronchitis too, is it worth me giving some ivermectin at the same time? I have messaged the lady who bred them but no response so far, I'm worried this is a sign she knew something was wrong with them. As far as I know they were not being kept on substrate where they were. In the cage the lady had several digging boxes but the bottom of the cage was bare, presumably for easier cleaning. Could the change to finacard be causing this much of a reaction?
Leah

[cub]

Re: Hooty babies

Post by [cub] » Tue Feb 12, 2019 7:22 pm

A course of ivermectin won't hurt. What dosage of Baytril were you prescribed, and how long a course were you given?
Poo-shoveller to: Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Onthewires

Post by Onthewires » Thu Feb 14, 2019 11:53 am

So they've each been given 0.04ml twice daily for 7 days - she said that this was based on the dosage for rats in the 'book', but I felt it was quite low based on the severity of the hooting and considering I used to give up to 0.14ml to a girl of similar size/age. She also told me to put it in drinking water and separate Ash (my healthy rat) on her own while they're being treated, so I've not got a lot of confidence about her experience with rats.

She saw my older girl Pangur too, and was understandably a bit more concerned about her, but I think whatever is causing her to loose weight is chronic so I'm not sure what else I can do for her apart from feeding recovery food and giving the combo course of antibiotics. Although the babies have worse breathing, they are very active/alert otherwise and don't have any porphyrin or discharge, so she didn't spend a lot of time looking at them.

I'm a little worried as they've been on the baytril for 4 days or so and haven't improved noticeably. Haven't managed to get ahold of any ivermectin yet but will order some for them today. They seem absolutely fine in themselves, still very bouncy and can't see any staining, but concerned about it getting worse. They're real sweeties so I'm gutted about their health. Still no response from the breeder 🙄
Leah

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Feb 14, 2019 2:00 pm

What concentration of Baytril is it? If it's the 2.5% solution then 0.04mL twice daily is the standard dosage for a 100g rat, and I expect yours are a bit heavier than that. :P I'd be interested to see what book it is that your vet is working from...
Poo-shoveller to: Xeltan, Calyn, and Din.
Fondly remembering: Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”