Possibly Pregnant Rat!

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
estiles

Possibly Pregnant Rat!

Post by estiles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:17 pm

I appreciate there may be threads on this already, but I am new to this page and couldn’t figure out how to add photos to a thread.

I have 5 female rats, 4 were rescued together and another one rescued separately. The one rescued separately may have been housed with a male up until 2 weeks ago. The rats “partner” died and I rescued her 2 weeks later. I feel she has gotten bigger within the week I have had her and she is very aghressive when I try to touch her nest or touch her belly, but will allow me to gently stroke her head and she will happily accept food from me. I have attached some photos of her so you can see her stomach. I feel I can see slight movements in the lower abdomen (other than her breathing) and would just like a second opinion as I cannot feel her stomach myself. Thanks!

estiles

Re: Possibly Pregnant Rat!

Post by estiles » Thu Apr 04, 2019 10:17 pm

Can’t figure out how to attach the pictures so if someone could advise on that too that would be great!!!

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Possibly Pregnant Rat!

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:30 am

You'll need to put the picture somewhere public (e.g. facebook with public settings), and then use the image tags around the url, or just give the url for us to click on.

If she spent 2 weeks on her own, then you've had her for a week, that adds up to 3 weeks not 2, so it sounds like she is due to deliver at any moment (gestation is 23 days) - move her into a low narrow barred cage, with lots of loose bedding but no accessories.

Later on you'll need two larger cages (e.g. a furet plus) for the babies once they are competent climbers, and when you split the sexes at 4.5 weeks

We have various articles on breeding topics here which should be helpful, and if you'd like me to, I can email you my guide to raising a litter.

Return to “Health”