Coprophagy or diarrhea

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Jydow

Coprophagy or diarrhea

Post by Jydow » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:55 am

Hey rat parents,

I have a question about poop :P. I have noticed that 1 or 2 of my rats have wetter feces, often in the morning/overnight. I thought it might be diarrhea but it's not throughout the day. Now i saw them eating it. So now im doubting if it isn't the wetter feces that they normale should be eating directly, and my rats are just a little bit strange :lol:

Does anyone have experience with this and if this is a problem or if I can just leave them to it?

O and they are males, 3 brothers around 2,5 months old (1feb)

[cub]

Re: Coprophagy or diarrhea

Post by [cub] » Fri May 10, 2019 6:29 pm

If it's wetter just in terms of being squishier, but still has an oblong shape, then that's pretty normal. It's only when it's properly wet, like a paste, that it might be cause for concern, although often it's just caused by them having a lot of wet/fresh foods recently. I wouldn't worry too much unless there's no obvious cause or it's a chronic problem.

Rats are supposed to produce wetter poos which they eat, although I haven't actually noticed this myself, but here's some information in case you're curious: http://ratguide.com/care/behavior/coprophagy.php Again, I wouldn't worry unless the coprophagy seems excessive.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”