New rats sneezing alot.

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Miffyiscute4

New rats sneezing alot.

Post by Miffyiscute4 » Sat May 25, 2019 11:16 pm

Hello, I am new to owning pet rats. The only rodents I have owned are hamsters so I am not too knowledgeable about them. I brought my two male rats today (Wilf and Niffler) and when I was holding the carrier on the way home I noticed they were sneezing quite a lot. Also, I could see there was some porphyrin on their noses but not too much. Then when I was taming them in the bath they were sneezing a lot and there was quite a lot of porphyrin on Wilf's nose, even though he didn't seem to be sneezing too much compared to Niffler. Now they are still sneezing a lot but other than that they seem to be fine. They haven't seemed to have eaten too much, but I think that is to be expected as they are in a new environment and most likely new food. Is this just from the stress from moving or is it a respiratory infection? (I really hope its just stress :cry: ) I have been watching them and they are eating more now and there is less to no porphyrin on their noses. I haven't ever seen any on their eyes yet. Any help is appreciated and if needed I can take a video of the sneezing and I think I may have one from when they were in the carry case. Thanks :)

[cub]

Re: New rats sneezing alot.

Post by [cub] » Sun May 26, 2019 7:19 am

Stress due to being in a new environment is the most likely cause. If the rats are otherwise looking well in themselves, I wouldn't worry overmuch and just monitor it over the next few days. A bit of porphyrin is normal on a healthy rat, especially if they've just woken up and haven't had a wash yet. Their snot and eye gunk are just tinged red by default. Everyone's allowed the odd sneeze too.

If the rats are young, it might actually be due to bladder threadworm. This is a parasite that is endemic in wild and pet rats, which normally causes no problems (and indeed, current research is suggesting that some parasites may actually be beneficial). Their larvae migrate through the lungs, though, which apparently can cause respiratory symptoms in young rats. It should clear up on its own, but if you're worried, treating the rats with ivermectin should help clear it up. You can get a spot-on solution over the counter at most pet shops; just make sure it's the right active ingredient and for the correct weight range.

But basically I wouldn't worry and to be honest in the same situation, I wouldn't attempt to treat unless it didn't start to improve after a few days, or the rats started to not look well in themselves.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Miffyiscute4

Re: New rats sneezing alot.

Post by Miffyiscute4 » Sun May 26, 2019 3:15 pm

Thanks, I was thinking it was due to stress too. They seem to be sneezing less today and I will continue to monitor them. I will be writing a shopping list for some stuff I need to get them, so I will put that on it. Thanks for your answer :)

Return to “Health”