New rat sounds nasally

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Finduszip

New rat sounds nasally

Post by Finduszip » Sun May 26, 2019 7:44 pm

Hello. I got two boys about two weeks ago, and they've been fine until now. Last night I put them back in the cage after they've been out, and they were both sounding perfectly fine. I woke up the next morning, barely six hours later, and now one of them sounds very nasally, as if he has a cold.

What could this be? What could have caused it? And what treatment can I do? I included a video of him when he just woke up to hear the noise.

https://youtu.be/rFQdMAl80u0

[cub]

Re: New rat sounds nasally

Post by [cub] » Mon May 27, 2019 9:12 am

I'm no expert, but that sounds more like nose than lung to me, which indicates it's probably not that big a deal.

How is he in himself otherwise? Eating, drinking, moving around?

What substrate are they on?
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Finduszip

Post by Finduszip » Mon May 27, 2019 10:22 pm

He acts normal, he eats and drinks, runs around, play-fights with his brother.

I use something called Toa-Lätt made from recycled paper. I also put in some ripped newspaper and cloth for them.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue May 28, 2019 7:13 am

Given that he's looking and acting otherwise well, and the substrate seems perfectly safe, I wouldn't worry too much or do anything just yet. Just monitor him and see if it changes. I generally give it a few days at least before panicking these days. :lol:

How is he doing today?
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”