Help!! One rat suddenly dead, second rat sick!!

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
MentatsNchill

Help!! One rat suddenly dead, second rat sick!!

Post by MentatsNchill » Tue May 28, 2019 7:57 am

One of my three rats suddenly had a seizure this morning and died a couple hours later, and now her partner (bought at the same time from the same store) looks like this! Image
I've never seen this before and the third rat (about a year older than the others) seems perfectly fine.

What is this? Can I do anything for her or is she going to die too?
*Edit* I saw on another post crusting like this could be stress? Is there a chance she's just missing her friend?

[cub]

Re: Help!! One rat suddenly dead, second rat sick!!

Post by [cub] » Thu May 30, 2019 11:29 am

The red liquid is porphyrin; it's the rat equivalent of snot and eye gunk and it's normal for them to produce some. If they're producing a lot it can be a sign of illness or stress. I'd put it down initially to having just lost a cagemate (and probable sibling), but if she starts showing any other symptoms I'd consider a vet visit.

If/when you feel ready to add more rats to your remaining pair, do consider a reputable breeder or knowledgeable rescue instead of a pet shop, as the vast majority of pet shop rats are poorly bred: viewtopic.php?f=111&t=76
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”