Female Rat is unwell

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Scottishratto

Female Rat is unwell

Post by Scottishratto » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi,

Brand new to the forum but I couldn't find much information relating to my rat Amy. She hasn't been right the last few days and I noticed a largish lump near her anus which the vet has identified as a tumour. I have also noticed that she had a yellow almost urine coloured substance near here vagina which had gone hard and sticky. What could this substance mean and is there anything I can do for Amy to help her?

Thank you in advance for any advice

[cub]

Re: Female Rat is unwell

Post by [cub] » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:54 pm

Hard to determine what a discharge is based just on a description, but it might be a sign of a vaginal infection, which would require antibiotics, or possibly some weird kind of uterine infection, which would require a spay. Both require veterinary attention. Is the tumour operable? If not, I would consider euthanasia tbh.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Scottishratto

Post by Scottishratto » Tue Jul 09, 2019 10:07 pm

Thanks for the reply.

The vet said it wouldn't be operable as it is too close to her genitals.

She is still grooming and eating and running about and behaving pretty normally apart from the odd spell of looking a bit sleepy. I will check her behaviour over the next day or so and make a decision then.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jul 11, 2019 6:18 am

If she's well enough in herself that euthanasia doesn't seem immediately necessary, then I would definitely get that discharge investigated and treated, assuming it's not something that requires a spay. If it does require a spay, then I would consider whether or not going for surgery is in her best interests given that it generally involves about a week's recovery time and she also has that tumour.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn, Din, and Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix) the big dope, Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Return to “Health”