Lung infection advice needed

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
rattimus

Lung infection advice needed

Post by rattimus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 9:08 am

My two year old male has had noisy breathing for a while I didn't realise what it was so a bit of a delay getting to a vet. He's been on two courses of .12mls of Baytril twice a day. The first course he got slightly better but as soon as it finished he was noisy again. The current course doesn't seem to be making a bit of difference. My vet last week added in Loxicam at .04mls once a day. Is there anything further I can suggest to my vet?

[cub]

Re: Lung infection advice needed

Post by [cub] » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:21 am

How much does he weigh, and how long was the course for? 0.12mL twice daily of 2.5% Baytril (25mg/mL concentration) is the standard dose for a 300g rat; if he's heavier than that, he probably would have benefitted from a higher dose. My vets usually prescribe a 7-10 day course for a mild respiratory infection; if it gets better on the medication but comes back immediately afterwards, then a longer course was probably needed. If it's not responding to the medication at all, he probably needs something different. I'd try doxycycline next; standard dose is 5mg/kg bodyweight twice daily.

If it's dog Loxicom (1.5mg/mL), the standard dose for rats is 1mg/kg per day, so about 0.7mL per kg of rat. 0.04mL would be the correct dose for a large mouse; I wouldn't expect it to do much in a rat other than taste nice. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:26 pm

I've no idea of his weight but he was weighed by the vet. It was .4ml of Loxicom the small numbers confuse me sometimes. Both times it was 7 day courses.

I'll try to get him to the vet tomorrow and speak to them about Doxycycline. Thanks

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:33 pm

It's a good idea to get some kitchen scales if you haven't got any already, so you can weigh the rats yourselves. Weight tracking can be very helpful in tracking health as weight loss is frequently a sign of illness. I use digital kitchen scales, zero it with a rat carrier sat on top, then put the rat in the carrier with a treat to keep them still.

Sounds like your rat is probably 600g and they were prescribing the Baytril at 5mg/kg twice a day, which is a legitimate dosage but half what's generally used by default.

You can get doxycyline as a suspension, but if the vets only have the tablets in, you may need to engage in some creative pill crushing and splitting the pile of powder by eye. My vets sometimes dose higher than what's in the formulary just for practicality.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:15 am

I tried and failed at that, I might try and use a little stand so I can see the screen better. It is thankfully how my vet does it. I tried my bathroom scales but they didn't even recognise I put anything on them.

I'll show the vet what you've written so she can either change the dose or try the Doxycycline.

rattimus

Post by rattimus » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:46 pm

We went to the vet today. Some positive news, the infection seems to have cleared it's just a lot of damage from the infection that needs to get cleared up. vet upped the dose of Loxicam to 0.78mls (weight is 580g). I've been advised to put him in a humid room for a while to help clear his lungs out a little.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:15 am

That's top dose meloxicam (Loxicom), which I'm a little surprised is being prescribed for a respiratory infection since a lot of people struggle to get their vets to agree to that much even for surgery! But it should be safe; just make sure to give it to him with food, and that he's eating well in general, as the main side-effects of meloxicam are gastrointestinal. Popping him in a spare cage in the bathroom while you have a bath or shower is one method I've heard people using, for humidity. :luck:

Return to “Health”