Choking followed by noisy breathing

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Lizzie47

Choking followed by noisy breathing

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Nov 24, 2019 9:54 pm

Last week on Wednesday night one of our rats (Negan) had a choking episode resulting in an out of hours vet trip. He had just been fed his usual mix from rat rations and my partner brought him through saying somethings wrong, he had his mouth wide open, tongue pushed forward and his arching his back and heaving. We left him while he was doing this and making noises but then his mouth and feet began to turn blue, he stopped making noises and it became clear then that he was unable to breathe. We called the vets and was talked through the 'swing' (I have also been taught this at animal first aid as I work reception at a vets), 3/4 swings finally brought him back round and we was able to clear some thick white discharge/food from his mouth but as he was still gagging we took him to the vets and he had oxygen, an anti-inflammatory injection and was given oral antibiotics (baytril) to cover him.

He seemed fine but a couple of days later I did hear him making squeaky/snuffly noises when eating and when I hold my ear against his nose his breathing sounded more noisy. He's just finishing his course of baytril now but last night he was gagging on food again, only for a few minutes and he cleared it himself no problems. His breathing again sounds noisy when his nose is up against your ear, chest sounds clear but his sides also seem to be going in and out in more effort than usual when he is breathing.

Should I be concerned that he has had two episodes of gagging/choking on food now? I am thinking of taking him back to the vets tomorrow morning, what antibiotics are good for rats? I'm thinking baytril may not be enough, should I ask for a longer course or a different antibiotic do you think?

Thank you for any input, Negan is 1 year 10 months old if that helps.
Negan and The Governor :love: Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Choking followed by noisy breathing

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 am

Rats can aspirate during choking, and that can result in an infection, so that'll be why he has respiratory symptoms.

As to why he has had another choke - it may be that the first one injured his throat a little and so it's a bit uncomfortable. Most chokes can be cleared by the rat without intervention, but keep a close eye on him.

Lizzie47

Re: Choking followed by noisy breathing

Post by Lizzie47 » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:36 am

Thank you :) I've not taken him to the vets this morning (open surgery) as he is well in himself, and breathing only sounds louder when your ear is near his nose. But if this continues would you still take him and get more abx? I always worry about leaving things and then getting worse but he's not sneezing/sounding noisy when eating anymore so I can't decide what would be best!
Negan and The Governor :love: Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

Return to “Health”