Any success of treating pneumonia?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Lizzie47

Any success of treating pneumonia?

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:55 pm

Negan will be 2 beginning of Jan. I posted 3-4 weeks ago as he had a bad choking episode resulting in an OOH vet trip, oxygen, metacam inj & 7 day course of baytril to cover him once the food had been manually dislodged. He was doing fine except early in the week I saw his sides heaving deeply when he breathed, he only sounded slightly wheezy if my ear was close to his nose. I took him to the vets Tuesday as he was open mouth gasping for breath alongside his sides heaving. He has also lost weight. The vet didn't have anything stronger than baytril in so he had a synulox injection, some bisolvon to give once a day and he ordered ronaxan for us to collect first things Weds. He's on 1/4 of a 20mg ronaxan tablet twice per day. He was doing ok, sides only more noticeable when he was eating. However yesterday and today while he's been having his meds (in baby food or 'weight up' chocolate powder from rat warehouse) he has stopped 2/3 times to go to the top of the cage to gasp for breath :cry: It's gutting to see and I don't want to prolong his suffering but otherwise he is fine in himself and is doing everything as normal, throughout the day I don't see him gasp just when he's eating. We're steaming the room and giving dark chocolate if that is of any help.

I'm going to call the vets tomorrow and ask for possibly baytril as well or steroids? I thought of nebulising but when we try he gets stressed and gasps the whole time.
Negan and The Governor :love: Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

[cub]

Re: Any success of treating pneumonia?

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:08 pm

I've never had to deal with pneumonia myself but I have heard of rats being treated successfully. It does seem to be something that needs to be treated fairly aggressively though.

Is he having gasping episodes only when having his meds or when eating in general?

I think it would make sense to add steroids given how poorly he is, and certainly I have heard of it being used in pneumonia cases. Bit weird that he would have an injection of Synulox (which is co-amoxiclav) but continuing treatment with Ronaxan (which is doxycycline) as they're totally different antibiotics. Adding Baytril may be a good idea; or if the co-amox injection seemed to help maybe add co-amox instead. Only problem is that it's probably the hardest AB to get a rat to take voluntarily; I just syringe it these days, but that isn't a great idea for a rat who's already struggling with breathing. I also wouldn't nebulise him either at the moment for that reason.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32), Zephyr Nyahir, Zephyr Zymandis, Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth), Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Dec 15, 2019 10:23 pm

Thank you for your reply. He has occasionally had gasping episodes while eating his normal rat rations mix, but not as severe as when he's having his meds and he doesn't climb to the top of the cage in panic. He is very keen for his meds (well the baby food or weight up mix they're in!) and I give them in the cage.

Yeah the vet was struggling as I wanted doxycycline straight away but they didn't have any in stock and I asked for something to give him as I didn't want to even leave him a day without treatment so he said he would inject a broad spectrum abx that wasn't baytril, I saw later on the bill it was synulox.

The vets only stock synulox as an injectable so will ask for baytril and steroids, hopefully I'll be able to just collect it as he was really gasping on the table at the vets last time.
Negan and The Governor :love: Playing at the bridge: :dumborainbow: Honey, Treasure, Theodore, Blu, Daryl, Rick, Hershel and Glenn :hearts:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Dec 16, 2019 7:54 am

Just wanted to add that Bisolvon can help, it's a decongestant.

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 9:26 am

Thank you, he has bisolvon once a day.

He isn't stressed (and therefore doesn't gasp) while he's with us in the bathroom so we're steaming that while he's in there.

He wasn't gasping for the first few days while he was having his meds in baby food, but then I changed to the choco weight up mix from rat warehouse and he gasps when eating that. I made it to a similar consistency to the baby food. I went back to using baby food this morning and there was no gasping. Could it be the thicker texture of the weight up mix that he's struggling with?? Will stick to baby food and monitor his weight, he'd already put a bit back on that he'd lost

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Mon Dec 16, 2019 11:53 am

It's possible that the Weight Up Baby is stickier than the baby food, even if it's been made quite thin, and if he's struggling to breathe already that extra bit of stickiness might just be too much for him to cope with at the moment. If he's managing to put some weight back on now that's an excellent sign. Everything crossed for him.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth), Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:02 pm

Thank you. Aside from his breathing he is acting his normal self otherwise, keen for food and not lethargic at all so I hoping we can get on top of his breathing symptoms.

I rang the vets as he was only given a 10 day course of ronaxan which would run out on Saturday, I've asked for a longer course and adding baytril/poss steroids. Just waiting for a call back

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Mon Dec 16, 2019 6:09 pm

I’m sure you already are but if not mix the weight up with boiling water instead of warm or cold I find it becomes much smoother and mixes better

:love: :baby:

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Mon Dec 16, 2019 8:32 pm

Thank you for replying :) I did mix it with boiling yeah, might give it another go next week when hopefully he'll be feeling better. It's a shame he can't take it, but his weight seems to be ok now. It's actually the second sachet I ordered as well as the first my dog opened the package and ate the majority!! Luckily doesn't have enough chocolate content to be of any harm to him but he obviously couldn't resist it :roll:

I'm able to pick up some baytril and metacam tomorrow morning, not sure if metacam is any benefit but can't hurt?? Then to update the vet via phone call on Thursday and I can ask for a longer course of abx then too which I'm sure I will as even if he is doing better I think he should be on it for near enough 30 days?

mothernaturesson

Post by mothernaturesson » Mon Dec 16, 2019 10:12 pm

:lol: everytime I get weight up baby the Jiffy bag looks like it’s been chewed by a dog

definitely can’t hurt with the meta cam

I’m thinking of ur ratty x

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Dec 17, 2019 10:51 am

If you're intending for him to go on steroids then be aware that steroids can't be used together with NSAIDs, which includes meloxicam. Most vets will insist on a 24h washout period between them.

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Tue Dec 17, 2019 11:28 am

Thanks both. The vet wasn't keen on giving steroids unfortunately, so has given metacam instead.

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:23 pm

Just to update, Negan is doing well. The past few days/up to a week he's been really active and have seen no gasping. He's also been fine taking the 'weight up baby' mix from rat warehouse he previously struggled with. He's got a few days of ronaxan left, he will have had in total 20 days of ronaxan & bisolvon, with a 10 day course of metacam. Sometimes when very excited/gobbling up yummy food his sides will heave but not as obvious as before and not just during general activity in the cage. Should I still be worried about this/do you think any further treatment will be needed or is this as recovered as he will be? He's otherwise very well now. :)

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Dec 29, 2019 2:41 pm

If he's still showing some symptoms, even if he's mostly better it'd be worth going back to the vets for another checkup before stopping treatment, just in case it's worth continuing the medication for a while longer. Given how ill he was, I wouldn't be surprised if he needed more than a few weeks of medication. Glad he's doing better now though!

Lizzie47

Post by Lizzie47 » Sun Dec 29, 2019 5:53 pm

Thank you :) I had read up to a 30 day abx course may be needed. I do like my vets as they've been ok to dispense things I've asked for, but it was a push for me to get the 20 days worth. I had to call a few times and go pick up an extra few days worth at a time as they kept prescribing little at a time (Negan has never missed a dose, I made sure I would always have enough). The dosage was also low so I asked if I could have more to give him 1/4 tablet rather than the tiny bit they originally prescribed so will see what they say.

Return to “Health”