Strange recurring infection

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
frodo quin

Strange recurring infection

Post by frodo quin » Sun Jan 05, 2020 1:09 pm

One of my girls had an abscess on her troth a couple of months ago. Friday night I noticed that it came back, and my vet operated on Saturday. The abscess wasn’t well capsuled in, but the strange thing was that, surrounded by pus, there were lymph glands. My vet took a biopsy and the tissue will be examined.

To me, it seems too long ago to be a residue from the previous time (early November, last dose of AB on 17 November). I would also expect a capsule in between the infection and the glands. My gut feeling tells me that the glands might be the reason why she has/has had the abscesses. Does anyone have some experience with something like this?

[cub]

Re: Strange recurring infection

Post by [cub] » Sun Jan 05, 2020 3:08 pm

I haven't personally, but I have heard of recurrent abscesses and if I recall correctly they could be separated by fairly long timescales. Hopefully your vet has also taken the samples required to determine the bacteria responsible; she may need a course of specific antibiotics to clear it. I would hope she's also on broad-spectrum ABs now (preferably at least co-amoxiclav) as facial abscesses can get fatally bad if not treated.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

frodo quin

Re: Strange recurring infection

Post by frodo quin » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 pm

No, she didn’t take a swap. We actually never do, unless an infection isn’t responding well to the antibiotics. She gets a painkiller and two kinds of antibiotics by the way. One local and one oral.

Return to “Health”