Dog vaccination and rats

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
oowie

Dog vaccination and rats

Post by oowie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:48 pm

My dog needs his vaccination soon, are there any problems with the vaccination and my rats? Any risks for them fromany of the possible vaccins my dog will get?
Or is it safe to vaccinate my dog and have him in the same room with my rats afterwards?
formerly izi

[cub]

Re: Dog vaccination and rats

Post by [cub] » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:16 pm

As I understand it, if your dog is having the bordetella vaccine, then you need to keep him out of the rats' room for a couple weeks afterwards, preferably with a change of clothes for you as well. This is because the bordetella vaccine is live and shed by the dog, and shed virus particles can then infect the rats who can develop an active infection from it. Other vaccines should be absolutely fine.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

oowie

Post by oowie » Tue Jan 21, 2020 9:39 pm

Oooow.... that is difficult. My rats are in the living room and i don't have a room available for them and their cage for a couple weeks....... not enough space and /or too cold.
I will ask my vet what vaccins he will be getting....not sure yet.

Should i really seperate them for weeks?
formerly izi

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:26 am

Could a friend have them for a couple of weeks?

Bordetella is pretty nasty, it's likely that around a third might die from it, so really not worth the risk.

oowie

Post by oowie » Wed Jan 22, 2020 1:30 pm

maybe vaccins in the netherlands are different? over here evereybody tells me that it is safe for the rats to have a vaccinated dog around them... i am not sure and will not take the risk.
I wil plan for a titercheck (don't know if this is the same in english) for my dog to test and see if he is still protected, maybe he doesn't need to be vaccinated. if he does need vaccins, i will have to place the rats in the bedroom and turn the heat on there (it is freezing, i always have it turned off in the bedroom)
formerly izi

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 am

As far as I'm aware, it's only the bordetella vaccination that may pose a risk to rats. All the other vaccinations are fine. I'd speak with your vet first and ask what vaccines are required/recommended for your dog; in the UK, not all dogs need the bordetella vaccination.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA28).
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger (Edgeworth) the big lump, Din (NLA28), Zephyr Donovan (Phoenix), Xeltan, Lita (NLA32), Lia (NLA28), Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28), Falere (NLA36), Mirala (NLA36), Zephyr Opold, and Rila.

Feolthanos

Post by Feolthanos » Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am

[cub] wrote:
Thu Jan 23, 2020 11:38 am
As far as I'm aware, it's only the bordetella vaccination that may pose a risk to rats. All the other vaccinations are fine. I'd speak with your vet first and ask what vaccines are required/recommended for your dog; in the UK, not all dogs need the bordetella vaccination.
Thanks for bringing this to our attention. I'd not even considered that a vaccination from another species could effect them. My dog is kept very seperate from my rats, but as her boosters are due next month I'll be sure to check with my vet exactly what she's having and if they have any concerns if that may effect the rats health.

Are they any illnesses that can pass dog to rat and vica versa?

amy104

Post by amy104 » Fri Jan 24, 2020 2:37 pm

Just for reference the Bordatella vaccine is commonly refered to as the kennel cough vaccination. Its an elective vaccine, so you don't have to have it. Its the one they spray up the dogs nose.
Slave to a gorgeous little mischief: Remy, Mr Jingles, Templeton, Fievel, Milo, Spartacus, Crixus, Basil, Frisby, Mocha, Latte & Expresso.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 25, 2020 11:57 am

Feolthanos wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 7:31 am
Are they any illnesses that can pass dog to rat and vica versa?
Things like ringworm certainly could, but I'm not sure about anything else, most are species specific.

Return to “Health”