Random black spot on fur?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
tallulabi

Random black spot on fur?

Post by tallulabi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 7:13 pm

Hi everyone,
I’ve just noticed that one of my rat’s has a random bluish-black spot on the one side. I’ve parted the fur there and there’s no sign of infection. I’ve also tried to clean it off but it won’t come off as it seems to actually be part of her fur. I was thinking that maybe it’s just her fur changing colour since I know that’s something that happens as they get older, but it is a completely different colour and I don’t think rats can develop whole new fur patterings... unless they can? This is my first time owning rats so I’m still unsure about things. Does anyone have any idea what it could be?
The link below is to an image of the spot.
https://imgur.com/gallery/YlQqk7N

[cub]

Re: Random black spot on fur?

Post by [cub] » Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:17 pm

Looks like some kind of dye has gotten onto her fur. Do you have any coloured wooden toys in the cage, or have you fed them any staining fruits/vegetables lately (e.g. blueberries)?
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

tallulabi

Post by tallulabi » Thu Feb 27, 2020 9:14 pm

Well I gave them raspberries but that would dye her fur red. Other than that, I haven’t given them any thing in the past few days that could stain her fur blue.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Fri Feb 28, 2020 10:45 am

If it's from e.g. a coloured wooden toy in the cage, that might not have to be new. A lot of them are dyed with water-soluble dyes, so it's plausible that someone might have urinated on it or a water bottle might have dripped on it and then she brushed up against it.

If you're certain the skin underneath looks normal, I'd keep a very close eye. Perhaps take a photo every day or two so you have a visual log of if/how it changes. It's also possible there's something going on underneath that's causing the hair in that particular patch to develop oddly. I've never heard of anything like it though.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

tallulabi

Post by tallulabi » Fri Feb 28, 2020 5:09 pm

Okay, thank you! I’ll try taking a photo everyday.

Return to “Health”