Sudden illness

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
JoJJ

Sudden illness

Post by JoJJ » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:59 am

Hi

My apologies if this is in the wrong section, not sure that there is any right one for this.

I fed my 2 dumbo girls as usual at 745 am and all was well, both hungry Daisy the greediest and fattest was keen for food (these girls have just had their 1st birthday). Shortly after there was a scuffle in the cage and I thought they were wrestling but it didn't stop and Daisy was barrel rolling uncontrollably and in considerable distress! Poppy her sister got all defensive and bit my partner but I managed to get Daisy out. Her heart and lungs were very strong and I wondered if she had had a stroke - she just could not find her feet - I have had rats for years - it was so heartbreaking to watch!

I found a vet that would see her an hour later - I knew the most likely outcome and vet advised me that this was an inner ear or brain infection, they could try antibiotics but her life would be poor if this was successful so I made the kindest decision - I am heart broken!

Now I have a 12 month old girl- who does territory bite on occasions but i have managed to cope with this my removing beds ect to get her out, but once she is out she is fine. I cannot have a 12 month old rat alone, so I have notified the breeder for advise but I am wondering as she is so territorial would I be best looking for 2 babies to introduce or to look for a rat of similar age and size. Poppy seems very healthy but so did Daisy until today.

Any advice welcome as I really can't leave Poppy alone- she is already pining for her sister.

Thanks

Jo

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Sudden illness

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:05 pm

I'm very sorry, what a distressing situation. :(

It's hard to know what happened to Daisy, but sudden extreme symptoms are more likely to be due to choking, or an epileptic fit, possibly even an insect sting in the ear. Ear infections are treatable but come on gradually, and a brain tumour would also have other associated symptoms building up over time.

Hopefully the breeder will be able to advise what sort of company Poppy is most likely to accept, they may even have a relation (or two) who you could introduce to Poppy.

In general though, it is best to keep rats in groups of 3 or more so this sort of urgent need for other rats doesn't come about. So even if the breeder can help you out with an older companion (or two), now is a good time to get on a waiting list for a couple of kittens anyway. If they happen to have kittens for you now (which is pretty unlikely, most breeders have a waiting list or will have already promised the kittens to homes), then that's great but make a plan to add more in around a year, allowing for a wait time of at least 3 months.

JoJJ

Post by JoJJ » Sat Aug 08, 2020 12:43 pm

Thank you for response.

I have now been in contact with the breeder and she has a 1 week old litter 🙂. She agreed that Poppy would enjoy the company of 2 babies in a few weeks time and I am hoping to adopt 2 girls. I need a new cage anyway as mine is looking sorry for itself so time for a taller cage.

Poppy is territorial so I think the intros may take time, but hopefully worth investing the time and hopefully will have 3 happy girls and not 1 lonely one 🙂

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Aug 10, 2020 8:21 am

7 weeks or more is a long time for her to be on her own, keep an eye on her appetite and mood because rats can get very depressed on their own and just give up.

When the kittens are old enough (generally at least 8 weeks old and over 200g in weight for does) introduce them using the carrier method, and then move them into the new cage so it's not already 'owned' by Poppy. :luck:

JoJJ

Post by JoJJ » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:46 pm

Thank you. Yes this is a long time, too long but sadly haven't been able to find a quicker fix. It is horrible to see a lonely girl, keeping a good eye on her.

Jo

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Wed Aug 12, 2020 9:34 am

Have you tried looking on the facebook group Rat Rescue Network UK? You can put a wanted post up there too.

Return to “Health”