Bar chewing, causing rust on newish cage :(

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Little_Lovelies

Bar chewing, causing rust on newish cage :(

Post by Little_Lovelies » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:25 pm

Hi guys,

One of my fellas chews the bars at dinner time and i’ve just noticed that a few of his favourite chewing spots are now a little rusty on the inside. It’s not noticeable from the outside so I’m upset that I didn’t realise sooner. Presumably any rust on a spot that he chews needs covering as quickly as possible?

Can anyone name any pet-safe paints that are still around and quick drying? I don’t care if I have to keep re-doing it just so long as it’s quick drying. I really don’t want to have to use anything that means they’re live in their small cage for days if I can help it. I have a Freddy 2 and we now constantly find little grey fillings on the floor because the cheeky boy is stripping the bars.

The cage is less than a year old so i’m very disappointed as I wouldn’t say it’s fit for purpose if it can become a hazard so quickly. Really hoping someone’s gunna say that a small amount is fine and nothing to worry about but i’m sure that’s wishful thinking!

Any help would be lovely thank you!

Little_Lovelies

Re: Bar chewing, causing rust on newish cage :(

Post by Little_Lovelies » Thu Aug 27, 2020 12:38 pm

Having just inspected the areas again I can see that the colour of the newly exposed metal is grey, and the ares that i’m worried have rusted are brown, but they’re not redish or flakey etc. (only the plastic coating), so maybe this isn’t rust after all? Again probably just wishful thinking, but I don’t know at what point it’s considered a problem?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:24 pm

I don't consider rust to be a problem for the rats, it's just extra iron if they were to lick it.

Obviously it will eventually shorten the life of your cage, but that's years away.

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 5:14 pm

Oh that’s a massive relief thank you! I assumed it would be pretty bad. I read so many things about what to cover it with that I assumed it must be a serious hazard. Thanks so much!

Return to “Health”