Is eating (not just chewing) Lava Ledges ok?

All topics on health, physique, vets, and medication
Little_Lovelies

Is eating (not just chewing) Lava Ledges ok?

Post by Little_Lovelies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 12:21 am

Hey there,

My boys have had lava ledges for months, and all of a sudden yesterday one has decided to start eating them! I’ve crept up on him about 4 times now and i’m sure he’s actually eating bits not spitting them out, is this ok??

Thank you all!

[cub]

Re: Is eating (not just chewing) Lava Ledges ok?

Post by [cub] » Fri Aug 28, 2020 2:33 pm

It shouldn't be harmful, but pica can be a symptom of pain or illness. Particularly as he's only just started doing it suddenly, I'd investigate to see if there's anything going on.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:45 pm

Thanks so much for getting back to me so quickly! What’s Pica? I’ll do a search for it as well of course but would love an expert definition :) EDIT: scrap this part as i just found it in the glossary thank you.

The poor little angel had actually just been to the vets a day or two before for a limp, so what you said makes perfect sense.
Last edited by Little_Lovelies on Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:51 pm

Having just started reading about Pica I thought it was worth pointing out that he’s been prescribed Loxicom & Synulox while we wait for test results. He eats the Loxicom happily but hates the other. How weird that there could be a link between opiates and the behaviour, I had assumed that he might be trying to get rid of the taste of the other medicine as he really doesn’t like it.

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sat Aug 29, 2020 9:28 am

Little_Lovelies wrote:
Fri Aug 28, 2020 4:51 pm
Having just started reading about Pica I thought it was worth pointing out that he’s been prescribed Loxicom & Synulox while we wait for test results.
Oh well that explains everything. :lol: Pica is often a response to pain or nausea. If he is in pain, the Loxicom (meloxicam) should help with that, but he's likely to still be in some discomfort, same as how ibuprofen isn't going to make a sprained ankle totally stop hurting. And Synulox is co-amoxiclav, which often causes an exciting variety of gastrointestinal side-effects.

Synulox is unfortunately very difficult to give. Most rats seem to hate the taste and they can smell it from a mile off thanks to the strong flavouring. You can get co-amox in tablet form instead, which is usually less off-putting to rats initially, but I've found that they quickly start to distrust the tasty treats you're offering them, probably because last time they accepted one they started feeling nauseous or had tummy trouble not long after. That is unfortunately just how it is with co-amox and you may have to force syringe it. One tip though, if he's on it long enough for you to need a second bottle, you can make it with half the water recommended (i.e. double strength), so you only have to give half as much in terms of volume. That can be a real lifesaver if you've got a big rat to medicate. Don't make it more concentrated than that, but double is fine, according to the manufacturer.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Little_Lovelies

Post by Little_Lovelies » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:32 pm

Hiya Cub,

Thanks so much for all the tips! You were not wrong, I thought it smelt like a lovely milkshake, but my little angel said heeeeeeeeell no! It ending up taking forever to get it into him as he got more and more wise to is, so meal-times were a big nightmare but he's fiiiiinally off the stuff thank god! He's on the Loxicom for a few more days so I'm just hoping that it was the other meds that were making him eat weird things as it feels very mean having had to take so much out of his cage for now.

Return to “Health”