New single rat

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Kaykay87

New single rat

Post by Kaykay87 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:24 pm

I have just bought home my first rat, she was on her own in the pet shop and I just had to bring her home with me as she looked lonely and had been there a while. What can I do fornher so she doesnt get too lonely, as I am aware rats do better with company. Any advice welcome for this new rat momma.

Many thanks.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New single rat

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:29 pm

Rats do indeed need rat companions, so I would recommend looking for a couple of young girls to introduce to her asap. How old is she?

If you say roughly whereabouts you are, then I could try to find out whether any NFRS breeders have some kittens available.

ETA
What sort of cage and food do you have for her? It's unlikely the pet shop will have had anything suitable on sale, but we can direct you to good alternatives. :luck:

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Sat Aug 25, 2018 6:34 pm

I have her in a squared mesh cage with a plastic base over the mesh if that makes sense. 70cm long, 45 wide and 50 high. It has a small shelf halfway up on one side. Ive given her a water bowl, dust free shavings, and i put a ball of soft hay in one corner. A few wooden chews and i have a hammock coming tomorrow. I bought a bag of wagg dry mix for her, and have offered a little apple but she's not too interested atm.
We've had her out for about 3 hours today, and she has been sitting on our shoulders and neck quite calmly, gave us a good sniff and checked out our hair. Lots of chattering and a few licks.
I think shes between 6 months/1 year old, as she is quite big.
The pet shop told me shes is great to handle but she really dislikes other rats.
In general she seems quite calm and content.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Mon Aug 27, 2018 5:36 pm

It is very rare for a rat to dislike others - we have an article on the carrier method of introductions (see the most popular articles post for the link), and if you follow that then it should be easy to introduce a couple of female kittens to her. Wait until the youngsters are 10 weeks, and double check that she is definitely a girl first. ;)

The cage is small - I would recommend getting a coco 100 as a main cage.

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:34 pm

I think the shop fed me a line to make a sale in all honesty. Shes much more affectionate than I was told.

Im getting a new cage next month, and will be getting her a friend or 2. She is 8-9 weeks now, so would 3-4 weeks be a good time to introduce friends?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Sep 14, 2018 5:23 pm

Asap would be a good time if the babies are big enough. :luck:

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Mon Sep 17, 2018 2:39 pm

Got myself a big cage. Got a ferplast ferat 2nd hand. Just needs a good scrub before I get my 2nd rat.
Just need a suitable carrier for introductions now

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Sep 21, 2018 8:11 am

Use the carrier you transport the rats around in - this one is good quality, or this.

Rats do best in a group of 3 or more, so I really do recommend getting her two friends. :)

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I got my rat a friend, introductions went beautifully and now theyre both snuggled up in the hammock.

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Wed Sep 26, 2018 6:51 pm

I also got a ferplast ferat cage for them. Loads of room for toys and playtime.

HereticPr1me

Post by HereticPr1me » Wed Sep 26, 2018 8:38 pm

Daaah thats great to hear :love: :D
She'll really appreciate the ratty company of her new friend - they both will !
Doug, witless provider to :
Ratties :smile: ex-lab boys Boxer and Spot and :girly: old girl Jess.
Budgies Freyja and Haiku.
:rattyrainbow: 42 storytellers loved and lost, most recently : Washburn :rattyrainbow:

Kaykay87

Post by Kaykay87 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:26 am

Theyre getting on brilliantly now! Only small problem is we think the new one might be pregnant. Goddam pet shop

Return to “Behaviour”