New owner a little worried

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
llewyratty

New owner a little worried

Post by llewyratty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 11:35 am

I got my first pair of rats ever in the late evening of the 9th it is now the 12th. They have a large cage with toys, hides, two water bottles and a food bowl. However whenever I'm in the room they stay in one spot in the cage and don't do anything. This is worrying me is this natural and how do I help them get more comfortable with me. Thank you for any help.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: New owner a little worried

Post by cyber ratty » Sat Jan 12, 2019 1:13 pm

It may seem counter intuitive, but you need to remove all places where they can hide, just let them have flat hammocks and open baskets as well as perches and ropes. Spend as much time near the cage as you can, and sing or talk to them a lot.

Are you handling them? Have a browse through the various threads in this section, and follow the advice on keeping them on you for at least 20 minutes per day so they can build up trust in you. :luck:

I would also start scatter feeding instead of using the bowl, this is not only a much healthier and more natural way to feed, but will force them to spend time on the floor to forage for their food.

Return to “Behaviour”