Intro question

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Kesjo

Intro question

Post by Kesjo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 7:55 am

Hi,

I am in a intro atm. I was left with one male rat after his broter died suddenly.
He is about 8 months old and has been on his own for 2 weeks.
The new babies arrived friday and i started the intro yesterday,in a small hamster cage.
The oldest boy is very social, there only was some struggle in the forst few hours. Laying the little ones on their back a couple times, and they each stayed in their own corner for a couple hours.
Aftwr that they were al sleeping together of and on and i have seen them play together also.
What is the next step? The hamster cage they are in now, can only open from the top. So it is hard to put a flat hammock in it, because it also doesn't have bars around the sides.
They will eventually move to the furat kd cage,what will be their permanent cage.
I would like to move them to the empy furat today, tomorrow i will be gone for work all day so i cannot keep an eye on them and i don't want them to stay in the hamsyer cage for 2 more days if it is not needed.
If i move them in to the furat today, what is the best moment to take the next step and start adding a flat hammock, or shelf?

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Intro question

Post by cyber ratty » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:35 am

I would give them at least 3 days and nights in the hamster cage, even if you can't put a hammock in. Then move them into the empty furat on Tuesday, and add a flat hammock on Wednesday if all is well.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am

Can you tell me why 3 days in the hamstercage is needed? Even if everything is going very well?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:00 pm

If you're going to be away all day tomorrow I definitely would not move them up today. It's probably a big increase in space from the hamster cage (unless it's a large hamster cage), and it's fairly common for fights to kick off when there's an increase in space even when things appear to be going well in earlier stages. If they've only been together for one day and night so far that's not much time for them to bond, or for you to assess their behaviour around each other.
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

Kesjo

Post by Kesjo » Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm

Ok thank you!
Everything is going great, they sleep,eat and play together.
The little ones are jumping on the older boy, and he just turns around and lays on his back. He realy seems to enjoy the playfull youngsters. Tomorrow i will move them to the furat kd cage.

At what moment is it ok to give them a wheel?
First a flat hammock, and when that is working out, add the wheel, or first add more hammocks?

[cub]

Post by [cub] » Tue Jul 28, 2020 1:11 pm

Kesjo wrote:
Mon Jul 27, 2020 5:58 pm
At what moment is it ok to give them a wheel?
First a flat hammock, and when that is working out, add the wheel, or first add more hammocks?
I'd add the hammock first, just because having a comfortable bed higher up is something rats particularly seem to appreciate.

I've rarely found wheels to cause conflict, but they can create hiding spots and therefore make conflict worse: if you put them too low to the ground they form a sort of cave underneath, and smaller rats can also hide behind the wheel. So a couple things to watch out for when you put the wheel in. They are a great way to burn off energy though, so if you have excitable youngsters, a wheel can give them an alternative to bombing around on top of other people, which can help keep things more peaceable. :P
Poo-shoveller to: Calyn (NLA32); Zephyr Nyahir; Zephyr Zymandis; Zephyr Blasto.
Fondly remembering: Zephyr Mick Jagger "Edgeworth"; Din (NLA28); Zephyr Donovan "Phoenix"; Xeltan; Lita (NLA32); Lia (NLA28); Zephyr Delanynder (NLA28); Falere (NLA36); Mirala (NLA36); Zephyr Opold; Rila.

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Thu Jul 30, 2020 12:28 pm

Kesjo wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 11:48 am
Can you tell me why 3 days in the hamstercage is needed? Even if everything is going very well?
I personally find 3 days is the minimum necessary to cement a new set of circumstances (e.g. I don't sleep well on holiday until I've been there 3 nights), and I think it is also required to help the rats bond well. The first stage is the most important in an intro, so cutting it short isn't worth the risk that they've not fully settled together.

Return to “Behaviour”