Intro advice :)

Topics on behaviour, taming, companionship, introductions, and training
Snezzer1

Intro advice :)

Post by Snezzer1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 8:29 am

Hi Guys,

I've never done intro's before so have been doing a lot of research first as am quite nervous.

I have 5 girls two are approaching 20 months, the others are 16-17 months.

I tried to introduce a new girl to the group, took it very slowly and tried an into in the bath last night. The alpha (20 months) established dominance straight away and the other older lady seemed to get on okay with her no issue.

She didn't sumbit with two of the 17 month olds and they started to fluff up and karate kick a bit, I waited for a few minutes hoping the would sort it out but it carried on they had a scufffle which ended up with the newcomer being scratched so i separated them.

The newcomer is lovely but very nervous, she is an albino and her eyesight is not great so it is probably making her more nervous poor thing.

Just a bit nervous and appreciating some advice on what to do next !

thanks

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Intro advice :)

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 10:13 am

Follow the carrier method - details are here.

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 1:19 pm

Thanks mary:), ive got them in the carrier now as the bath intro seemed to be going okay, still fluffing and scuffles she keeps rearing up she's not fluffed (the new girl). Keeping a very close eye on them is the rearing up a bad thing or maybe she's feeling defencive poor thing

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:26 pm

I've got a ratty pile result !!! :birthday: :birthday: :birthday:

cyber ratty
Fancy Rats Team

Post by cyber ratty » Fri Nov 20, 2015 3:35 pm

Good :luck:

The rearing up is an important part of the process so that they can literally size each other up. ;)

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Fri Nov 20, 2015 5:46 pm

Thanks for your advice is really appreciated !

I've still got them in the carrier had a bit of a hissy fit some fluffy karate kicks but nothing serious i will keep trying tonight. Is it best to move them to a v small cage overnight, separate or leave in carrier ? if there is no cuts or bites obv

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Fri Nov 20, 2015 9:38 pm

Unless there are major issues, don't separate them as it's more likely to cause problems than not. Assuming you can easily attach water bottles etc to your carrier, then I'd be inclined not to make any major changes before you want to sleep just in case it starts anything off, especially if the small cage is significantly bigger than the carrier. Karate kicks makes me think they haven't fully sorted out their differences yet so they may as well get that bit over with :roll:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:22 am

Yeah definitely ! they are still being a bit divaish, i left overnight and tried in the mary sized cage it seemed okay for about 3 hours then i heard some shreiking, the new girl was chasing one of them around the cage and humping i left it for a few mins hoping would sort it out but carried on :roll: I put them back in the carrier for now, really worried about them as they all seem really stressed.

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:15 pm

This is really worrying me as soon as i think they are making progress it goes wrong again :/ i moved them ot the mary and another fight broke out one of my girls pulled the new girls tail

acapae_wolf

Post by acapae_wolf » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:32 pm

According to your first post you only started the intros on Thursday night. That's only 48hrs or so ago - not long at all! I would put them back in the carrier and then leave them for a few days on the trot without even thinking of upgrading them. As opposed to moving backwards and forwards as you've been doing so far. They'll be bored, sure, but the boredom will help them bond :luck:
Beri with all at Dandelion Soup
1 cat, 50-70 mice, 2x guinea pigs, 2x gerbils, 2x Syrian hamsters, 2x Russian hybrids looking for new homes ;)

Mayamy
Admin Aide

Post by Mayamy » Sat Nov 21, 2015 10:33 pm

Other people probably have more experience with awkward intros than me but is it possible you moved them too fast? Not sure how long they've been in the carrier vs Mary when, and what was their body language like in the carrier? Were they relaxed, grooming, sleeping in one pile, happily sharing their food?

...X posted :roll:
Amy - with Pixel, Dora, Ren, Vex, Nova & Tali

Snezzer1

Post by Snezzer1 » Sat Nov 21, 2015 11:39 pm

I think ive moved too fast, i put them in the mary and problems started, back in the carrier turned really nasty and taz bit her she has a cut on her back. I've put them in separate cages im really worried this isn't going to work out

Snezzer1

Into challenges

Post by Snezzer1 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi

Sorry for so many posts! some of you might remember I posted a couple of weeks ago as I had a failed intro with a wound.

Was looking to get some advice before I try again
. I was thinking of doing the carrier method I'm trying a few neutral introductions first.
My question is this if I try the neutral intro and they won't settle. What do I do? I tried before and there was lots of fluffing and aggression do I carry on as long as there is no biting or do I throw the towel in just wondering as this happened last time and I'm worried I moved tothe carrier too soon. What do you guys think? I'm new to this so want to make sure I get this right.

Jemma
Fancy Rats Team

Re: Into challenges

Post by Jemma » Wed Dec 02, 2015 2:06 pm

I wouldn't do repeated intros on neutral space in most cases, this can wind them up further. Instead I would pick a time and a good small neutral space (a room they don't go into is ideal, or a friends house) such as a sofa, then go straight into a neutral carrier and see how that goes.

Caza66

Re: Into challenges

Post by Caza66 » Wed Dec 02, 2015 8:27 pm

I rarely do neutral territory intros and just go straight to carrier method. The on,y time I did neutral intros was when I intro'd 3 babies to a group of 8.
Officially ratless. Groot, Star-lord, Yondu adopted by another rat lover.
:rattyrainbow: To all those who have filled my heart, have fun at the bridge.

Return to “Behaviour”